Tuesday, September 18, 2018

In which we consider some numbers


The TBAs for Big Bronx are now a mere memory. Suddenly the tournament is starting to look real. The numbers are substantial, and there’s little question that we’ll use up pretty much all the available space.

The numbers themselves are interesting. I mean, we could have had probably as many PF teams as space would allow, but we agreed to cap at 240. With 7 rounds, this means that all the 5-2s break. I think this is important, although it’s not as if I’ve been religious about this. First of all, it’s usually 6 rounds, and second of all, the idea of a 4-2 screw in PF seems to be accepted (except, I would imagine, by the teams getting screwed). Most tournaments don’t advertise how many teams will break, and most teams accept that there are limits. I have to admit I am bothered by the occasional tournament that will inflate a division in such a way that 4-2s aren’t merely a screw, but a mega-screw twisting way too many people.

Then again, I was raised in a world comprising mostly 5 rounds. In the 90s, that was the norm, and non-breaking 3-2s were a given. 33rd seeds were occasionally awarded consolation prizes, but never run-off rounds. We lived with it. But even back then Big Bronx was 7 rounds. One year Bietz and I were working the tournament and did some math that demonstrated that in previous years, 6 rounds would have yielded identical results vis-à-vis breaking, with the tiniest statistical deviation, but no one paid attention. Big Bronx is like that. It’s been around forever and it has traditions, and attempting to change one of those traditions is a major undertaking. I understand that. Traditions are what make tournaments unique, as long as those traditions don’t somehow undermine the competitive value of the tournament. Obviously 7 rounds versus 6 is anything but competitively unsound. But it’s not terribly necessary. Unless, I guess, if you’re one of the statistical deviations.

Meanwhile other tournaments are in flux. Monticello is looking relatively light, to say the least. I’ve been nudging the Tiggers to get on the stick, since I think they should open registration on 10/1. The Gem of Harlem is going to have to switch its date, and we’ve been noodling about that, with no real happiness on the possibilities. Catholic Charlie has yet to post the NYCFL sked, which is no big deal except that I like to fold his dates into my overall schedule. Being no slouch, I’ve already gotten hotel rooms for Penn, but I haven’t heard from them yet, and no doubt they will once again want to add 11 more divisions despite not having any more space to do it.

Sigh.



No comments: