Wednesday, September 26, 2018

In which we bid a fond farewell to an old classic


I mentioned yesterday that the Monticello tournament has been cancelled. I was thinking about it, and as I recall it, I’ve been going to this one without a break for over 20 years. When I first starting judging, when my daughter was a novice (complaining that I dressed too weird to sit in the back of the room), Monti had a semis bid, and lots of divisions, including in LD JV and Varsity. They were big divisions, and over the years my team did very well in them. One year I went, and the person who was going to tab the thing couldn’t make it. Rose J-T saw me in the auditorium and asked if I wouldn’t mind, making this one of the earliest tab jobs I had. It became a regular business, that I would handle their pairings. Plus for a while we held a one-day tournament there every year under the auspices of the Mid-Hudson League. Districts were there once or twice too. So I’ve always had a lot of Monticello in my schedule.

There is a decent hotel near the race track, but early on I always stayed at the downtown EconoLodge. My favorite memory of the place was one night there was some sort of violent disturbance, and the main desk called my room to ask me to go find out what was happening and report back to them. This, of course, was the last time I stayed at said EconoLodge.

Monti got its TOC bids stripped away because of politics on the board, and not for anything having to do with the quality of the tournament. Back then, politics on the board were vicious, mendacious and positively putrid. I was on the board for a while, and the whole experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Overall, as I’ve written over the years, while there are some positive aspects to the TOC, its influence overall in debate has not been positive. But that’s another story. The point is, without its bids, Monti slowly lost business. Granted, it is off the beaten path, but you get on a bus and there you are, which is true of virtually all the tournaments anyone around here goes to. The bid-only mindset is what really killed it. Honestly, it’s been hanging by a thread for years. It’s no surprise that the thread finally snapped.

I look at my calendar nowadays and, unlike a decade ago, I do not see a regional tournament there every weekend. Our once vibrant area is not what it used to be. I understand that there is ebb and flow, but it’s not like the debaters aren’t there. But leadership of those debaters is not what it used to be. The Mid-Hudson League, for example, was run by the various coaches in the region, all of them in the tab room filling out index cards. I sort of got the impression that they weren’t necessarily all terribly fond of one another, but they got the job done of providing rounds to all their students. Today? Rounds are a lot rarer. Which means people have to travel a lot further. Which means that money is tighter. None of which is a good thing.

Anyhow, RIP Monticello. Rose J-T will try to salvage something, perhaps on another weekend, and I hope she’s successful. I mean, well, second favorite memory: One year, we were done with the tournament and decided to eat before leaving town. We went to the local Chinese restaurant. The special of the day was corned beef and cabbage. 

‘Nuff said.

No comments: