Wednesday, March 08, 2017

In which we outline some future plans

I’m thinking of trying something different, to wit, a Facebook page for debate stuff. I’ve been working on an Fb page for the DJ, and as I learn more about it, it seems like a good thing for my debate stuff. Fb allows two-way communication, and sharing, and things like that, which isn’t really part of the functionality of a blog. Especially since a lot of what I do is for the general market, for example, how to do an electronic tournament, and I know that most people really don’t know how to do that or a lot of other things, I figure why not put this material out more publicly. I would still write articles here, but I would also post them there.

I’m going to play with the idea.

That raises (but does not beg) the question about why I do this at all. The Vast Coachean Army isn’t exactly vast, but it’s not exactly tiny. Considering that I mostly talk about debate, and usually from the very specific perspective of the tab room, I nevertheless have a few hundred readers for every post. Occasionally a post that seems no more relevant or meaningful or, shudder, funnier than the others shoots up to a couple hundred more, and I have no idea why, but to be honest with you, even if there were only a small handful of followers, I’d probably keep at it. I like to write. But that ought to have been evident to you by now. I have all this writing juice and I like to use it. It just so happens that what goes on behind the scenes at tournaments is of interest to a reasonable number of people.

Anyhow, I was talking to a colleague about what one does in one’s interstices, those moments during the day when you’re taking a break from the main business. Me, I write Coachean Life. And in the past, Nostrum. I go on Fb a couple of times a day to see what my friends are up to, although I’ve pared that number lately because the politics has become monotonous. I’ve been posting entertainments as my personal oasis from all of that. On the other hand, I’ve become obsessive about Twitter, where I enjoy the politics, and where I follow a bunch of different reasonable points of view (as compared to the boneheads who support everything Trump does and the boneheads who support nothing Trump does, and offer nothing but boneheadedness to warrant their venom), and where I tweet myself fairly regularly, in the belief that unquestioned immorality is condoned immorality. It’s my moral compass, of course, but who else’s do I have?

And, of course, there’s the writing for work. I write blurbs and memos and articles and all sorts of things, and I really enjoy doing it. It’s fun. For a lot of people, writing almost anything is anything but fun, but that’s not me. And I also spend a lot of time dug deep into manuscripts, doing some pretty heavy duty editing, a craft that is akin to doing crossword puzzles, although not exactly drawing on the same skillset.

So, a lot of writing. And some social media. More, now that I’m working on the DJ site. I’m going to see next if I can do something meaningful in Fb, mostly explaining tournaments and discussing tips and techniques and the like. Maybe, when all is said and done, I’ll be able to get all the Cool Kids convinced that they won’t lose their street cred if they hit the Start button. That alone would be worth the effort.



///

No comments: