Thursday, March 31, 2016

In which we make lame excuses

I think it has something to do with how the brain works. If you’re using up a certain piece of it all day, that piece can’t just keep going on and on without having a chance to replenish or recharge itself. There is one thing that goes on at the DJ, which is the first cut one does on a book, that takes pretty much every literate part of your brain and controls it completely. You have to make room for a whole book in the space between your ears, and carry it around for weeks as you keep cross-referencing it, and that doesn’t leave any room for any other books, or anything even like another book. Like blogging. It’s not that I’m cutting 24 hours a day, but the 8 hours a day I am cutting remove the ability of my brain to do anything else but eat, sleep, fight with the cat and watch an hour of mindless television every day.

In other words, I have not been suffering from the yaws, or famine, or Dutch elm disease. I just haven’t had the necessary energy to post, especially when there isn’t all that much going on in the debate world, which is the only thing you’re probably interested in (which is rather narrow on your part, but so be it; if you want articles on Child Stars Who Grew Up to be Axe Murderers, you probably wouldn’t come to me for them). That I am writing this, however, should be an indication that things are looking up. At the point when one finishes one of these all-engulfing assignments, one flips oneself upside down and lets the whole book flow out in a rush, to clear the decks and to resume course as before, at least until then next such assignment pops up. Which won’t be for a while, in my case. Thank goodness.

Then again, I’m not going to be around for a while, so it's not as if there is going to be a sudden rush of new posts. Next week I’m heading down to Florida for the NDCA Championships, with a little time set aside for WDWing. So don’t worry that I’ve finally succumbed to my advanced years or something. I’m just busy doing other things. Soon enough I’ll be back at the old stand doing the old standing.


I know you wouldn’t want it any other way.

___

/

No comments: