Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Shockingly, when offered the nickname "Fluffy," the so-far un-nicknamed Jake categorically refused. And in other news...

There have been some remarkable events at the DJ that are of no concern here, other than that they have been remarkable. I know that this implies that I ought to provide some remarks about them, but for the most part, what happens at the DJ stays at the DJ. This blog isn’t about any of that. Still, those events have their effects on this writer. Like most people, I have a variety of personae, presenting the appropriate ones at the appropriate times in the appropriate places. But the different faces we prepare to meet the faces that we meet have their impact on us. (Hmmm. I haven’t thought of Eliot in ages.) The events in each of our worlds run over the borders into the other worlds. I do spend a full work week at work, at a job that has nothing to do with forensics. And there are times when I’m sitting there listening to something or other, and I really want to point out that there’s no warrant to this argument, or no impact, and I keep my mouth shut. Still…

We chezzed it up last night, and at some point, I forget exactly why, I had to make the comment that this was the sort of stuff I would not otherwise have a chance in my life to hear. The concerns of high school students are, as a rule, unlike the concerns of my Boomer peers, and our conversations are radically different. I enjoy that I get to have both types. That may be a key factor in my continuing in the activity. It exposes me to things I would not otherwise be exposed to.

Anyhow… we did manage to discuss some debate stuff, in between all the nonsense. One of the problems we encounter, because of the minute size of the team, is managing the business of debating PF. What I mean by that is, for instance, what does one do in prep time? How does one work with a partner? All that sort of thing. These are interesting discussions, and I can bring some experience to bear on this, plus research and whatnot, but in many ways, it is the individual pairing’s business to sort this out. That’s not so hard to do once you realize that it is an issue to sort out. If you get lost in the debate, you get taken up in the mechanics and don’t think about them, good or bad. But when you step aside and analyze the mechanics, you start seeing what you should and shouldn’t do a little more clearly. That’s what we we’ve been doing a little bit lately. Of course, getting in there and debating one’s little heart out doesn’t hurt either. My debaters don’t debate enough. I mean, they debate enough to keep their hands in, but not enough to climb the ladder. I think they know that now, and I think they know how to make the climb. Then again, sophomore year is a killer in debate no matter how you slice it (hence my pushing of Academy). Things should settle a bit next season.

Although there is a prediction of some smallish snow tonight, the weekend forecast remains clear. Good. I don’t think I really need another weekend on my own.

No comments: