Monday, April 16, 2012

Waiting to fly home

I just uploaded the results of the final round to Joy. My work here is done. Next year the event is in Nashville. I hope I'm invited to help out again; it's a fun tournament to run.

There's some explication in recent comments about cells; if you're curious, read CP's note.

One big difference between this tournament and the normal ones I run is that virtually everyone preffed. Granted there was a relative uniformity in the field, in that the majority is circuit-based, still, one does have one's preferences. I stuck to very strict assignments, and it was mutual probably for well over 90% of all the pairings. This doesn't mean it was all 1-1, because there were the occasional 3-3s, but if you're mostly getting your first or second choice of judge, that's not bad. One thing that always must be stressed is that the choice is mutual. You are not choosing the judge who will pick you up. You are choosing that judge that both you and your opponent rank identically. Big, big difference. What was amazing was that in the elims, we still had great mutuality, without a lot of hoo-ha. I mean, there was some hoo-ha, where you assign a judge here, and no one fits there, and you move that judge out of here and into there. It's a bit of a crap shoot, because you don't see in the main screen how the resulting ranking will work out. But it's do-able. And we did it. In the main, I'm quite satisfied with the tabbing. Nice work, if I do say so myself. And fun, as always, working with Kaz and Bietz, with occasional visits from Tim Mahoney and other special guest stars. I could have done with a little less "Great Moments in Star Trek Sound Effects" from O'C and the People's Champion, but I still liked hanging out with them.

More details to come. The biggest thing is that now, officially, my season is over. I will see one and all next year, starting at Yale.

I miss everybody already.

Except for some of them.

No comments: