Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Packing up

I’ve only been to one previous NDCA tournament, last year in Scranton. We had a pretty good showing and a lot of fun, because the attendees are all friends and the trip wasn’t long and tabbing was an interesting challenge due to size. This year it looks about the same. PF and LD get decent turnouts, and CX gets a seriously large turnout. My guess is that the reason for this is that the CX people have about had it with TOC, for one reason or another, while LD and PF just haven’t taken NDCA to heart yet. Whatever. If I had to pick one national tournament to attend, I don’t know which it would be, to tell you the truth. It would depend on my teams.

Anyhow, I’m bringing no one to Las Vegas, site of this year’s event, but I’m tabbing anyhow. Last shot of the year, the way I see it. Last year Kaz and Bietz and I did LD and PF both, but I’m not sure if that’s true again this year. CP has been less than forthcoming with information. I imagine him working on his new tabbing program, sitting on his deck wearing his Hawaiian shirt and drinking a g&t and just being…louche about life in general. Whatever. I just hope somebody’s got a printer in the joint when I get there, since I can’t fly with one.

There’s plenty of time to sort out the details. I’ll be arriving Thursday, and the tournament starts Saturday. I’m looking forward to a little time roaming around on my own. The last time I was in Vegas was maybe a decade ago, en famille. The first time was at the other end of a famille, when I was seven years old. And I’ve been a handful of times in between. It’s different every time. What I think I’ll do is tweet for a few days. I’ll set up an automatic feed from Twitter to here (which I think I can do). If you read an entry, “Just won multi-zillion dollars from one quarter in slot machine,” that will be my last entry for a while. A long, long while.

No comments: