Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tempus fugit

Tonight we’ll be on the TVFT case again. We did want to do it last week, but everyone was scattered about for one reason or another. The question we hope to address, or at least the starting question, is what are the defining characteristics of a finals bid tournament? And, after that presumably, semis and quarters. We’ll see how far we get.

Meanwhile people keep sending me info on the District tournament, judge names and bills and the like. The odd drop (for a surprise bris, if I remember correctly, a thought that rather perplexes me). The Goy keeps offering tutorials on the software, but when you can practically tab the thing on your fingers, plus your time is pretty much totally taken between the DJ and the Aged P, that’s just not going to happen.

The State tournament looms the weekend after this one. A couple of the divisions are small, but we’ll handle those as RRs. It was suggested that we could fold in divisions then break out into separate elims, but I’ve never understood the logic behind that. I mean, it is almost by definition a guarantee that the first years will lose to the second years who will lose to the third/fourth years, so the key to success would seem to be good draws, meaning that your chances of breaking are more a matter of luck than skill. Hand-pairing an RR, on the other hand, keeps you debating at your level, although without meaningful brackets. That sounds better to me, and certainly a better test of competitive ability.

Otherwise, as I say, it’s mostly time totally taken between the DJ and the Aged P. Which is too bad, because I really want to write about how an art design is or isn’t young (a DJ issue that I couldn’t discuss as well there as here), plus there’s the other writing I’ve been distracted from. Oh well…

No comments: