Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Get me Rewrite! Hold the Frenchie stuff!

I was writing up this thing about non-bid tournaments, and it really sucked, so I just erased it.

My point would have been that too many people don’t give enough attention to tournaments without bids. Pretty much every team has a bunch of people who need rounds but who are not bid-worthy, and a nicely run two-day tournament is probably the place they should be. I’m talking about your sophomores or lightly debated juniors who don’t have much of a chance at a serious bid event, but have a fighting chance elsewhere, for instance at Lakeland this week. In fact, there is about a tournament a month that has no bid, or at most a finals bid (which is a pretty exclusive bid out of the reach of most of the field), and I’m surprised that more people don’t break down the doors to get to these, especially those with large teams that aren’t getting rounds anywhere else. We did a lot of conscious removal of JV divisions around here at the colleges, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t a lot of virtual JV possibilities that I think are actually better. You need to think outside the box. All your debaters need rounds. You need to find those rounds for them, otherwise as coach you are not doing your job.

The paragraph above says, in one paragraph, what I was incapable of articulating in five paragraphs. Sometimes you do have to throw away stuff and start over.

I also did that with Rippin’. As I said yesterday, I had written out a whole song and dance, and then I ripped it up and made the video, which was much more to the point, I think. I do now sort of expect the Rips to break into my house at night and steal a cat or two to avenge their honor, but I’ve got to believe that my history as the World’s Worst District Chair precedes me, and that there is already no love lost between us on their side. As I said, old news. Plus ca change, plus la meme chose, eh? Anyhow, this is the first time I've summarily put something over on the greatest hits without a second thought. I don't know about you, but it just breaks me up. I do so amuse myself...

1 comment:

pjwexler said...

I do think that if this whole print media thing gets old, the visual arts do offer you new possibilities.

I could bear to see a few more of these myself. Heh.

(I amuse myself too, if not others, but I get to have a captive audience in real time on a daily basis....)