Thursday, March 03, 2011

Notes from a darkened, quiet sickroom [cough cough]

I think I’m mostly over this cold I picked up last week. The first thing to go and the last thing to come back is my voice. If I talk even for a little while I start rasping and whispering and saying things like “I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse.” At the Sailor’s meeting this week I pretty much gave up trying, but as I say, I’m almost back to normal now. One benefit of being sick is that one is allowed to pamper oneself, and I took advantage of my sniffles and coughs to pore over a little cache of comics I’ve been saving for just such an opportunity, not to mention an extra trip or two to the ice cream freezer. Life is good even when it sucks, if you just give it a little try.

We’re down to two entries at Lakeland this weekend. I really am beginning to feel the bite of small teamness. Next year, in the wake of the P and the P’s C's exits, it’s going to be pretty lonely if we don’t pick up a passel of plebes to replace them. I will certainly have no active seniors, for one thing. On the positive side, it gets me out of doing RRs, but on the negative side, I sort of like doing RRs, or at least hanging out at them. Can O’C handle the beans all alone during the Lexwegian event? I don’t know. All those questions about obscure Star Trek episodes and who won round 3 of the Ridge tournament in 2007 in room 204 are going to be pretty confounding to the assembled multitudes.

I am glad that I’m not struck by techlust over the iPad2. I was slow to embrace the iPad, but when I did, I fell in love, and I’d hate to have to upgrade so early in the game, or more likely piss and moan about not upgrading. I’m pretty sure that GarageBand will work on the original machine, and I want that a lot, and I really don’t care about having more non-camera cameras at my disposal (while I like having the iPhone camera in my pocket, my ultimate lenses are on my SLR), so I’m not going to get all het up about it. This could be a real problem for me. There’s an Apple Store in the mall right next door to the DJ, and I walk by it whenever I roll over to Starbucks. That is one strong temptation…

Anyhow, I saw today that some yabbo got 13 TOC bids this year, thus setting a record. Impressive. But I’ve got to wonder, doesn’t this guy ever go to class? Then again, when was the last time the Panivore saw the inside of her own academic devoir? She’s not doing Lakeland tomorrow pretty much because she felt she needed one weekend off this year. That’s probably not an exaggeration. I mean, I never get a weekend off, but then again, I don’t debate, and I don’t grind up the competitive adrenalin that goes with the activity as the students do. And of course, I’ve got nothing better to do on the weekends, at least until golf season begins (although whether golf is better than debate is questionable). Come to think of it though, next weekend is in fact a weekend off for me. No debates, not nowhere, not no how. And it’s too early in the year (just) for golf. Two whole days of… whatever. Sounds really, really good!

No comments: