Friday, February 12, 2010

Off to the unharvard

Bietz once famously tweeted about tournament ROI, i.e., return on investment. How much does one get for one's investment at tournaments, in other words. One compares the costs to the benefits, finds the latter outweighs the former, and one signs up. Or not.

Which is why I am going to UPenn.

Let's put aside any comments on the nature of Harvard except for one, namely, the size of the fields. According to my trusty iDebate app, 310 breaks all 5-2s to triples after 7 rounds. Not bad. But wait. There is no triple. 12 5-2s break out of 52. 40 don't. We're talking 5-2s here. From my personal ROI, that's a bad bet. Which means that I would have to be going for other reasons. Sadly, I have no other reasons that would warrant the high expense.

Which is why I am going to UPenn.

Unfortunately, the unharvard took a fair hit this week in drops, mostly from wimps without shovels (sounds like a good band name). That's too bad, but I'm not bothered by it. It's my first time at UPenn since the 90s, and I like them on this weekend, and I will continue to support them on it. The only alternatives that make even marginal sense are in September, and I feel that they are no alternatives at all. Every other weekend is a conflict with another regional tournament, and we all know how well that works out.

So, while you're up in Cambridge, think about us, especially if you manage a large squad. You've got some reasons to be up there and not here? Fine. But your whole squad? The ones who can't even dream of being in a position where the above math (which can be applied to every event) will ever come into play? Is all your registration money better spent on name because it is the more resonant brand? What is your motivation for entirely bypassing a tournament that runs to earn funds for urban debate programs? Too expensive to send to two different places? No. I know how much Harvard costs. Not that I'm trying to guilt you out or anything, and I hope you have a successful and enjoyable weekend. But I ask you to think about the possibility, next time out, of an alternative.

Give it a shot.

1 comment:

bietz said...

harvard has a triple, but not a 7th round. we came because for our ROI, we get 7 more rounds of debate for the price of one flight.