Friday, January 29, 2010

Anonymity, highways and gimcracks

To further answer Ryan, I guess when you boil it down I’m just not comfortable calling people out in public for being unprofessional. The endlessness of this issue of team ineptitude has led me mostly to believe that it can’t be stopped, but it can be punished, and that’s what I will do. Punishing people by naming them here doesn’t seem very harsh; people pay me good money to mention them here, and doing so for free is against my policy. I mean, you don’t think I talk about O’C all the time for nothing, do you? As for CP naming names in a different context, that’s between him and those names.

(Ryan: by the way, you can send the $200 for mentioning your name twice in this entry to my PayPal account.)

Meanwhile, tomorrow we’re heading down to Brooklyn Tech for an MHL that has to be the most jam-packed policyfest we’ve had in ages. Where did all these Policians come from, anyhow? More power to ‘em. The only thing I’m not looking forward to is traveling along the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, commonly known as the BQE, which is to wheeled vehicles what garlic is to vampires. The parts of it that aren’t rutted so deep that you can see halfway to hell are lined with some of the most mesmerizing graveyards I’ve ever seen, long processions of gravestones leading to the grand landscape behind them of the Manhattan skyline. Bloody weird, let me tell you. This is why we usually meet the daughter on neutral ground.

SuperSquirrel and the Panivore, on the other hand, are lounging in the balmy sunlight of Atlanta with O’C and company at the Keys to the Kingdom Konfab. I’m seriously thinking of giving out something similar at Bump next year. Of course, keys are already taken, so what else is there? Mezuzahs? That would work, I guess. Instead of wearing them around your neck you’d nail them to your shoulder. I don’t know what I’d put in them, though. I wouldn’t want to be sacrilegious, so it would have to be something secular. Schematics? Ballots? You tell me. All I know is, if you want your tournament to be a hit these days, you’ve gotta have a gimmick…

1 comment:

Ryan Miller said...

I'm afraid there's been a miscommunication between our agents. You're only paid for reference by cheeky nickname, not this staid old "I'll call ya what your parents named ya" stuff.