Monday, December 28, 2009

A welcome break from reality

Vacations are nice, because you can take care of odds and ends.

First of all, there was signing up for the Gem of Harlem. For some reason, the Panivore's brother (a Speecho-American who, if there were any poetic justice in the universe, would be gluten intolerant) was not acceptable to tabroom.com, but just for this tourament. I've signed him up elsewhere without a problem, but Columbia just doesn't want him to darken their doors, apparently. Very strange (the bug, not the brother). I've passed it to CP to add to his list of things he doesn't want to think about (although, actually, this is the sort of bug that tech folk find intriguing).

Second, I finally made my hotel reservation for ALJ. Another curiosity that tournament directors should explore: the special rate for the tournament is higher than the rate on Expedia. Usually they're no different. We can all get out of the worrying-about-lodging business if the hotels aren't going to worry about it on their end.

Then I looked at the Unharvard hotels. These are pricey, but there are a couple right near the campus, thus eliminating the need for busing over the weekend. I put up a notice to the Sailors to finalize their interest (they pay for the bulk of this out of their own pockets) in a couple of days, and then I'll get the rooms. (The Unharvard is, for those who are not taking notes, UPenn: same weekend, different personnel, way cheaper—and the profits go to supporting inner city forensics. I've got a feeling it's going to be pretty good, which is why I signed up.)

This afternoon there's a chez on Jan-Feb because, well, I think it's a good idea. Then I'll get back into my vacation mode for real. We've been quite busy doing this and that, including heading to see the relatives that didn't head to see us. I've seen muchos movies, read some books I wasn't paid to read, done a lot of updating of stuff on Vegas Elvis, taken bunches of pictures, etc., etc. Another week of this? No problem at all.

No comments: