Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Life in Not Debate

There’s nothing like a weekend spent not involved in debate. I had planned to tab the NYCFL event at Regis, which was ginormous, but the Joint Chiefs of Sailor Staff put the kibosh on that early, pulling back on providing transportation. To be honest, one look at the early weather report did not push me to argue with them. On Friday it looked like the forecast for the Apocalypse and then some. Whenever the weather people start talking about not only snow, ice and wind but also famine, death, war and conquest, I know to stay home. As it worked out, this was probably for the best: although Sailorville per se didn’t get hit much, the more south you went, the worse it got. Other, heartier, souls attended, however. O’C took over in the lurch, texting me regularly about such things as runtime errors because there were more Bronx Scientologists in the field than [fill in your own humorous metaphor here; I was toying with something really disgusting and unwarranted, so I’m just going to pass]. When more than half the field is one school, it requires the Dance of the Thousand Tab Veils, which I guess O’C is rusty at. Whatever. I gather that ultimately he pulled it off, that Regis fed the multitudes their expected loaves and fishes, and that a splendid time was had by all. I stayed home and mostly reorganized my photos in iPhoto, a very good use of my time and energy. It’s the kind of thing you don’t do unless you’re struck with a lot of extra time you weren’t expecting. I also printed up some CD covers, found the installation disk of YDKJ The Ride (finally!) for Vegas Elvis, unwrapped the new Wii Sports Resort game and gave that a whirl (Ping Pong is my favorite at the moment), read more instructions for the Nikon, caught up on old Rostrums (I’m not making that up—I see that there’s panic over the state of LD, which makes you wonder how far back I was reading), and managed a fine winter’s nap when I would otherwise have been entering the results of round 2. Given that the next two weekends are also debate free, and that the Parsippany Ritz won’t happen, I am going to have forgotten all about forensics, most likely, by the time the new year rolls around.

Yeah, right.

As I said previously, updates here on CL will be few and far between for the next couple of weeks, but don’t take that as an indication that I have quit the activity and taken up bear baiting. It’s just that I know you read this stuff mostly for the forensical fix; what I do when I’m not forensicating is of relatively little general interest, and I tend to keep it to myself. Except, I guess, this installment, which is the sort I won’t be writing any time soon. Except today.

Have a nice holiday if I don’t see you before then. If I do see you before then, have a crappy holiday. There. We’re covered.

No comments: