Friday, December 11, 2009

Next time I get some bright idea about new tabbing processes, please shoot me

This is all just from the world of the imponderables.

CP put MJP abilities into tabroom. People could rank the judges. He subsequently adjusted it so that you had to stick to the ranks as noted (initially you could put in 142 strikes and 10 As and there you were). Then he set it to upload to TRPC. Therein lie the problem. Somehow the judges codes in the MJP file were different from the codes in the general TRPC file.

Sigh.

The first solution to this problem looked like a manual entering of all the data, a lifetime job, but I realized pretty early on that I could tinker with the text file and, with a little care, make it work. The next problem was that judges not ranked all went in as Cs. This meant I couldn’t upload it wholesale, because there were plenty of empties, which would have meant a lot (a LOT) of errant Cs. Which meant enough copying and pasting to sink the proverbial battleship using a get-from-email feature in TRPC. Then I got up early this morning to fix the presumed 10% that I mishandled in the wee hours last night. I was right 1) in getting up early and 2) that I had mishandled about 10%.

When all was said and done it looked pretty good. How it actually works I will report back later after the pudding has been eaten.

No comments: