Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Coming tweets, changing venues, cunning folders, clever programs, costumed criterion monkeys

We will be tweeting a little for Monti and probably a little more for the Babycakes Invitational. Sign up to follow @debatetab to enjoy the proceedings.

The latest news on the NY State final is that it is going to be moved to Long Island this year, according to our regional director. For us, this is a move that means little in terms of travel time and probably a lot in terms of hospitality. The folks in Albany have always been stretched. Although they did what I think was a fine job for CatNats last May, with the support of the CatNat organization, over the years they have not been able to handle the numbers for States in all the various venues. I don’t fault them on this; I probably wouldn’t be able to handle it either. But when your stomach is growling and there’s nuttin’ to eat within 20 miles… Well, people get unhappy. Of course, the poor folks who must join us from way up north have a longer journey than usual, but honestly, I make a comparable journey maybe once a month, and there’s worse things in the world than a long bus ride. Add to this that JV is tabbing, and I think we’re definitely starting to see responsiveness in the organization to the desires of the community. And that is a good thing, no matter how you slice it. I did work up some templates for a new website design during the off moments at the Pups. I’ll get those out as soon as I’m at the right place at the right time and remember about them. (Note to self: remember about them.)

How come I can’t find an Ethernet cable in my house? I’ve got enough speaker wire and co-ax to wrap the Pentagon, and not one crappy Ethernet cable? Jeesh. Speaking of supplies, yesterday I bought a folder specifically for important tab papers. The thing is, in tab rooms, we generate enough paper to [insert clever humorous metaphor here]. The problem is, often the unimportant and the important get all jumbled together. You’d think that I’d be better at this after the first million or so years, but just putting the important stuff in the important-stuff pile hasn’t worked yet, and there’s no reason to expect that it will start working some magical time in the future. For five bucks, a nice still little folder? Look in there for the list of strikes, you yabbo! Anyhow, I forgot to buy the Ethernet cable while I was at Staples. Another shopping trip coming up.

Bump is filled up in Novice and PF, but I can’t seem to get those last 7 varsity slots taken. Dagnabbit! Housing is also fully subscribed. I remember with absolutely no fondness the bad old days when I had to do all of this by hand. Now, it’s all automated in tabroom, and all I occasionally have to do is click the odd button. Sainthood for CP? Well, it’s too soon to request it from the Vatican at this point, but some day. On the other hand, his constant turning to me during the Pups and saying, “You have done this before, haven’t you?” started to wear thin after a while. What’s the opposite of sainthood, anyhow? Damnationhood? Sounds right to me.

Speaking of the NYCFL (we were speaking of the NYCFL?) we’re going to speed up the Byram Hills Halloween event so that all those Catholics can get home in time for a little pagan fun and games. Out by 5, home by 6, dressed up in your Tweedle Dee costume and roaming the Village by 7—that’s the goal. Me, I dress up every year as a garden gnome. It just seems to work, and keeps the makeup requirements down to a minimum.

1 comment:

palmer said...

While I don't think annoying you during tournaments disqualifies me from sainthood, I have plenty else that does.

Thankfully, by the way, our swine flu vector hasn't come down with it. Slightly less thankfully, my sister gave me a headcold promptly upon my return home. There ain't no justice...