Monday, December 17, 2007

Hubris in the flesh, and some general meanderings

The Newburgh MHL was a model of efficiency. We processed about a hundred or so of the area’s finest young ‘uns, and got home just about 6:00. I even managed to keep the plebes from singing in my car; it’s bad enough that they occasionally sing in the bus, apparently not yet having shaken off the Speecho-American fairy dust. Anyhow, if it weren’t for the getting up early on a Saturday morning, it would have been the perfect day. I made up for it by sleeping in Sunday. Next up is the calendar year’s ultimate event, the CFL at Regis. The thing is already pretty large, and we don’t have a couple of the heavy hitters signed up yet, so this should be quite an event. Bring ‘em on!

Sunday was the memorial service for Michael, which was well-attended despite the miserable weather. It’s going to take a long time to get used to the void left in our community by his passing.

I haven’t heard yet from O’C what the other topic he wants me to lecture on might be for the “Holidays Shmolidays, All I Want for Christmas is My Opponent’s Two Front Teeth” Institute. No doubt he’s too busy shoveling through old schematics in the basement of Scientology trying to find out who hit the top down-three in the second flight of the fourth round of eleventh day of the ninety-seventh annual New York City Disfunctional Invitational for his next edition of Stump the Chump. Yesterday Les P asked me if it were true that I was publicly making fun of O’C, and I had to admit that the thought would never occur to me. Moi? sez I. Then again, I would never make fun of O’C behind his back: where’s the entertainment value in that?

Tomorrow night, some pre-holiday, don’t forget to write your damned cases thoughts with the Sailors, and the first serious trivia event. Even Cruz would be stumped by some of these questions! Hell, even I’m stumped by them, and I know the answers!

I will admit nothing about Zelda and the Phantom Hourglass…

No comments: