Friday, January 20, 2006

Take my weekend. Please.

Don't you just love tossing around the old political football? Or maybe it's the old hot potato. Maybe it's the old hot political potato (which hasn't been heard from since Dan Quayle left the VP's office). Whichever.

So I haven't made a secret of my desire to move Bump to the NFA weekend. I lust over the idea of an extra day once in a while to start early (the Veteran's Day holiday), plus there's other factors like weather and getting judges. In my humble o, it was something of a trade-off, one big tournament for another, with little rock of the region's roll. Well, one man's weltanschauung is another man's you've-got-to-be-kidding-schauung. Lakeland has also considered moving to that weekend rather than the weekend after Bronx, which I had thought was a done deal, and emails have been flying throughout the policy community about how if Lakeland has the NFA weekend they'll have a solid varsity pool and whatever, with bids up the wimwam. But Lakeland is pretty much unable to host any LD division.

Oy.

So messages have been flying, and there is a little rancor in the air, but I've gotten to the point where I write my rancorous message, trash it, and then send something all sweetness and light, in my sweetness and lightness way (which no doubt is seen as categorically rancorous, but at least I tried). The thing is, I get mixed thoughts in my head. If Lakeland conducted a policy tournament on NFA weekend, why couldn't Bump run LD and PF that same weekend, with maybe a novice LD division to boot? The problem is that we'd be dumping policy, which I don't like to do, because once dumped, it's hard to bring it back, and policy's been berry berry good to us. Or if our admin keeps us where we are, why not Scarsdale LDing on that weekend? So I don't see it completely as a horror.

But here's the backstory. Why doesn't Bump have a policy bid? To be honest, all I know is secondhand, but none of it is good, and I won't repeat it here. Suffice it to say that people who would like nothing better than that Menick fall off the face of the earth would sooner give a bid to bin-Laden than to bin-Bumppo. Maybe, on the other hand, Osama might see this as worth the truce. We give him a policy bid or two, he doesn't send in his suicide bombers. Do you think JW would accept the tradeoff? There aren't very many bids in the northeast, granted, but there's absolutely none in the Mideast. The time is ripe!

No comments: