Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Goy of Tournaments

Actually, this has nothing to do with debate gentiles, but I've been wanting to use that phrase for a long time and have given up ever finding a context for it. It will make a good punch line for someone, some day. Feel free to take it as your own when the situation arises.

And how come Bigle X gets 60 degree weather and we get the blizzard of '88? Well, I'll tell you. In a word, global warming. Two words: Bush's global warming. All right, three words. Whatever. Bah!

Last night I broke bread with Rubin and Olivieri, something of a makeup alumni dinner. The gents are doing fine. The Olive is on his way to Firenze for a few months, the dog. We told him where to get hot chocolate and that he should read B's Dome and whatnot. I've said this before: I want to take a semester abroad. The only people who did that in my day were the hoity toits; now both the hoi and the polloi seem to travel by the horde to all these foreign climes. And they get full credit or more just for showing up. Not that I consider John either hoi or polloi, mind you, but you get my drift. I was born too soon. They didn't even have Europe when I was a kid. It was just a blank space on the map.

Tonight is the first regular meeting in a while. D&J&PFIML and Nicole have weaseled out of Pffft at Lex (they'll be paying for their crime in the judge pool, among other penalties), so there's no need to present my dazzling I.D. aff or my exceedingly clever I.D. neg. Too bad. I had good stuff, and I was so looking forward to getting fired for teaching/not teaching religion to debaters. Of course, I don't think much that gets said in the meetings travels much further than that room. For that matter, I often wonder how much of it even gets into some the harder skulls actually in the room, much less being transported thence to their heirs and assignees. We'll also catch up on much general business, and rouse ourselves with one last blast of Jan-Feb before a short hiatus (there will be no meeting next week, since I'll be too pooped to pop debatewise).

(Anyone wanna buy some good I.D. cases? Cheap?)

No comments: