Thursday, April 09, 2020

In which we dispense with some entertainments

Nick Offerman, about whom I know virtually nothing, definitely has a Mark Twain thing going. I listened to him read Connecticut Yankee a while ago, and this week I started listening to him do Tom Sawyer. Of course, I am a Twain fan beyond the norm myself, and I can understand Offerman’s commitment. He has almost perfect pitch in his readings; he’s a good fit for Twain’s voice. I highly recommend him and these books. To be honest, I haven’t read Tom in ages, so in many ways it’s coming across as new. And fun. Just out of curiosity I moseyed over to IMDB and found that a search for Tom Sawyer yields 126 results. Hmmm. I have my doubts. I’ll stick to the book. 

And for the record, on the reading reading front, I went in for Bring Up the Bodies. Once you start a series, sometimes it’s best to keep going, especially when there’s not a lot of demarcation from volume to volume. Sometimes you don’t have to keep going, as with the Caro LBJ bios (which read better and more easily than most fiction), because the breaks are discrete periods (which I happened to live through). Sometimes you don’t want to, as with GoT. I ploughed through a couple of them and the monotony of people I couldn’t really track killing/maiming/ousting/whatevering one another finally just wore me out. I liked the main characters, but the supporting cast made my eyes glaze over. Come to think of it, I didn’t like the TV show for the same reason. I thought the books would clear all that up. Na’ah. 






No comments: