Friday, April 10, 2020

In which we, among other things, push the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museo Nacional

I’ve given myself the task of updating the Tournament Director’s Toolkit on my website. I find it interesting how small things change relatively quickly over relatively short bits of time, while the big things hardly budge at all. This is going to absorb me for a while, but hey, it’s not like I’m going anywhere anytime soon.

One of the big things I’ve been missing lately is art. Since my retirement I’ve been heading to one museum or another quite regularly. To sate this appetite for the duration, I’m now following museums from around the world on Instagram. I highly recommend the Musee d’Orsay, which does include English translations, and of course the Met, the National Gallery in DC, and the V&A in London if you’re looking for a good starter set. I was sort of disappointed in the Prado site, but the Thyssen down the camino has some great stuff. Maybe I’ll learn something from all of this before the doors to life swing open again.

Doctor Who fans might be interested in this: https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-steven-moffat-penned-doctor-who-short-story-is-a-s-1842678936  It’s young Amy Pond writing about the raggedy doctor. For the record, I was on a regular diet of the Doctor until Amazon dropped them from Prime a couple of months ago. Oh, the humanity! I had gotten to the end of Clara when the calamity struck. It was probably a good thing, though. It gives me something to look forward to. (Speaking of which, I for one would have loved to have seen this guy take the role: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/doctor-who-bill-nighy-turned-607440)

No comments: