Monday, October 01, 2018

In which we briefly nod at the new resolutions


Resolved: In a democracy, the public’s right to know ought to be valued above the right to privacy of candidates for public office.

I haven’t liked this since I first heard it when it was proposed. I was obviously in the minority.

While I grant there are some things about a candidate we have a right to know, this resolution presumes we have a right to know everything. There are no qualifiers in the rez, not a one, end of story. We have a right to know (or not) everything, including, say, if a candidate has had an abortion, or uses birth control devices, the sort of things that are simply nobody’s business but one’s own, and while they may have bearing on prejudices about a candidate, a bad thing, they might play no role in the office that candidate aspires to. Matters of public record, opinions on issues, that sort of thing? Yes. If you sit in your room and drink yourself into a stupor, it would be nice to know that before I vote for you, but I don’t have to right to know that. If you leave the house stone drunk in public, I do have a right to know that. Do I want to argue the difference? No way. Nor would I want to listen to the arguments. With today’s politics, which cannot be ignored even in values debate (or is it, cannot be ignored especially in values debate?), these rounds will be a mess.

Resolved: The United States federal government should impose price controls on the pharmaceutical industry.

A thorny issue all around, and a real one, and an important one. I don’t know how you throw evidence at this, once you get past R&D costs vs impoverished patients (dull), but at the societal level, I’m fascinated by it. I don’t know if it will debate well, but it’s a valiant stab at the topic, especially in our capitalist, anti-socialized medicine culture. NOTE: In the real world, the only people against subsidized health care are the ones who don’t need the subsidies. 

No comments: