Monday, June 19, 2017

In which we admit we don't understand social media

I have no idea of the etiquette of liking. Not on Facebook, and not on Instagram. To me, liking something sends a signal of specialness, but I see people liking everything that isn’t nailed. For instance, pix of the granddaughter on Instagram. I take it for granted that my family takes it for granted that I like all of them. Is the default position that I don’t like any of them unless I specifically point it out? Who is that horrible infant and why is she in my face every day? Of course, there may be some measure of checking in with friends, but I don’t feel compelled to do so, maybe because as friends go, I really don’t number them in the Facebookian hundreds. A handful in real life, if I’m lucky. So I guess the point is that I really don’t understand social media, neither the friendships nor the communications. I post stuff as much to amuse myself as anyone else. I've found a fun performance worth sharing, say, or I have some updates on the debate side of things that I put on the Toolkit page. The latter may be of limited appeal, but for those in the business, I think I’m the only person trying to pass along any lore of running tournaments. And I don’t mean tabbing, because progressively this will get easier and easier, until it’s like automated cars and all you have to do is get in and tell it your destination. I mean everything: the full disaster, the whole shebang, the alpha and the omega, both the kit and the kaboodle. Within a few months there will be an up-to-date total package, which I means that tournaments can put me out to pasture, except we’re always looking for better ways to do things, so who knows?

Then again, I do understand that likes are the coin of the realm, the currency of social media. I’m now running a page for the DJ, still in beta, where we’re learning to get into the habit of regular posting. A bunch of people have stumbled onto it, but it won’t be publicized to our readership until a couple of weeks from now. At that point, admittedly, I’ll be looking for likes and follows. But that’s business. On the personal side, I’m obviously out of the like loop.  


All right. Enough of this. There’s some kids on my lawn I have to shoo away.


///

No comments: