Wednesday, January 11, 2017

In which we mostly ramble

I was thinking of going to the inaugural ball instead of doing Columbia, but then I remembered that I wasn’t even close to thinking that, and returned to my regularly scheduled cogitation.

Today was the most Thursday Wednesday in a long time. Which means tomorrow will only be Thursday. Long week.

Not much news on the forensical front. I think Kaz and I have worked out the priorities for the 9 MJP tiers. Considering that 1-4 in 9-tier Neverland is the same as 1-3 in the real 6-tier world, more or less, most stuff should come out mutual. I’m pretty confident about the settings I’ve been using lately, given the results I’ve been getting. We shouldn’t get too far into the weeds. Of course, a few down-5s could get a 7-8 or something, but that’s pretty unlikely. Entertaining to consider, though. I really don’t like to punish people who are out of the running for elims, given that they paid as much as the people still in it, but the idea that the best prefs should go to the most important rounds does rule, and everyone instinctively agrees to it vis-à-vis a Rawlsian analysis. But throwing a total meatball at a down-and-outer isn’t right either. But but but, some lowly-preffed judges are sitting in the judges’ lounge for the first four rounds wondering if they’re even in the system, and I’ve already talked a lot about the balkanization of the judging pool, one of the problems of MJP that is pretty much inherent. (My number one solution: put them into the PF pool.) Sigh, sigh, and more sighs. The people who come in and complain that they’re judging too much—even though with MJP an awful lot of people only do one flight of the two—should try not judging at all. Every hell personalized just for you…

Meanwhile, I spent way too much time last night wrestling with OpenTable. I started my account on (hiss!) Yahoo and wanted to switch it over. But I couldn’t even get in as a Yahoonian, and if I changed my “forgotten” password once I changed it half a dozen times, to no avail. This should not be that complicated. I got so distracted I burned the sauerkraut, but that’s another story entirely. I finally did get a rez for Friday night, but by then I wasn’t hungry anymore. Hopefully my appetite will return by then.

Oh, yeah. If anybody starting their career wants a job in media, we’re looking.


///

No comments: