Wednesday, January 25, 2017

In which this is how a waitlist works

My iPhone 6 was telling me it had maybe 30% battery, then suddenly it would have 7%, or none. Obviously this would be a problem, and I googled it as one does, and it turns out that it had something to do with the OS communicating with the battery, and the solution is to reset all your settings. What the hey, said I, and I did it. This had two results. First, apparently it fixed the battery issue, and second, all my settings went away. This is both a good and a bad thing. It’s good because it allows you to see what you had and decide if you still want it, and if you want it the way it was. It’s bad because there are so many bloody settings that it takes forever to sort them out. I’ve been at this a week now, and I just discovered how to not have all my messages notify me twice, which was driving me crazy at Columbia. I thought it was spooks. Haints. Gremlins. I mean, who wants to be beeped twice? Or more than twice, which is an option? Jeesh.

Meanwhile, after a whole bunch of days making piddling changes to the Penn waitlists, I realized that most of these folks were not going to be in Philadelphia that weekend, and sent out a message warning people to go darken someone else’s door. Telling people that I have no idea if they’ll get off the waitlist always has the immediate effect of people asking me if they’ll get off the waitlist. Sigh. I’ve been pretty religiously working it by signup date, which doesn’t stop people who literally signed up yesterday from whining to me that they really need the slot because of X, Y or Z. I mean, I’m trying to be fair. First, a month after registration opened, I did a sweep, and pretty much everybody got slots. Then I waited till we had room confirmations and I started filling in as much as I could after that. I mean, who signs up for a college tournament thinking they’ll get 10 debate slots in each division? Seriously, people. And you signed up two weeks ago, and you have to make plane reservations, and what am I going to do about it? The VCA knows well that all I can do is happily thank you for trying. Since tabroom lists tournaments on the front page the day they go live, people don’t really have a great excuse for signing up late. Even people who say they’re new to this ought to get out of the house once in a while and talk to their colleagues to get a sense of how things work. My responsibility is to set up the best tournament possible. I want diversity in the field and in the judge pools. I don’t want people I know, people I like, people I hate, etc., etc., etc., to play into the equation. There is really no Rawlsean argument that says that, behind the veil of waitlist ignorance, I play favorites. My only bending is to occasionally cut people who are flying in a break, because of the extra problem of airline tix. But, I assure you, it isn’t much of a break, and Rawls (and you) would not disapprove.

More closely, Baby Bump is next week. The numbers are holding up. I still have a tiny waitlist of big school entries, and I want to let them in too, but I don’t want them paying to debate themselves. So I’ll sort that out at the end. Of course, it’s a one-dayer, so it’s no big deal to finalize things late in the game.

I still haven’t seen anything from Lakeland, although Stefan made it clear that he understood that I was blackmailing him, that is, if he wanted me to tab, he had to put up entries at Bump. After that, it’s CFL Grands, and my season crashes to a halt. I’ll have to start blogging about something else. Which reminds me: the new PF topics should be online. I gotta go check ‘em out.


///

No comments: