Monday, February 01, 2016

In which we update some tournaments

If I were to post a message saying that there are no more judges for hire, why are you immediately responding asking if there are any more judges for hire? I don’t think my writing is terribly unclear. Are we all that hung up on context and subtext that reading the damned text per se doesn't happen anymore?

Jeesh.

The Brotherly Lovers came up with a boatload of student judges. I spent a couple of years entering them into tabroom on Saturday (can you say “bored to tears”?) and I looked this morning on our spreadsheet and there’s a whole battleship more. Most are for IEs or PF, but there’s nothing wrong with that. Anyhow, I’ll enter more tonight. It will help alleviate my insomnia.

Baby Bump is settling down, meanwhile. Once again, the Academy LD is the hardest hit with drops. Ditto was the case with Byram and Monticello, where those divisions barely happened. Please tell me yet again that LD isn’t going the way of policy. Anyhow, the tournament won’t be enormous, but it’s quite satisfactory. Mostly it’s a novice shindig, but in a world bereft of the MHL, that is to be expected. I wonder what it would have been like as a two-day Academy-Novice tournament. That is likely to be their approach for next year (or maybe not; I have no particular knowledge one way or the other). The weather at the moment is promising not to be frightful, so there we are. The Paginator is definitely coming, with Iron Mike. Or Killer Mike. Or some kind of Mike. Maybe he’s bringing a microphone. Whatever.


I’d like to see more numbers for rescheduled Columbia. The debate events are slowly filling up, but a little too slowly for my blood. I’ve asked the Gemmers to send out another blast. I’d like to see them have some kind of event to make up for the loss. It’s up to the community at large to want to go to such an event, though. I mean, those PF and LD bids are hanging there ripe for the picking…

__


No comments: