Monday, February 08, 2016

In which we describe, in brief, a brief tournament

Baby Bump? It was a simple, natural delivery.

First of all, we had the midwives that most tournaments would kill for. JV, Catholic Charlie and the Paginator were all in tab with me. When it came time to toss cards for the two smaller events, JV and I jumped at the chance, just for the sake of getting something off the beaten path. The only issue with tabroom, which we discovered too late, was that some poor schmo novice LDer got the preset bye twice. I know I have often bemoaned the inability of tabroom to handle byes correctly, and this is another instance of it, but you’ve got to ask why said poor schmo didn’t come to tab (or better yet his coach) to inquire about the efficacy of his not debating half the rounds. On the other hand, it was worth two wins, and in our competitive age, two wins is two wins.

There were no real issues. If something came up like a locked room, I simply waved the people off, saying it was not my job. Lost and found on Sunday? Not my job. Award ceremony? Not my job, but I did it anyway, because it was only 6:00 and why not? More to the point, I wanted appropriate sturm und drang over the Traveling (Fruit) Cup, which we gave to the top Academy LD speaker, which seems like a suitable replacement for giving it in VLD. May Monticello wear it well (and refrain from eating it). 

I trust everyone went home happy. For that matter, I trust everyone when home, because a couple of people were still hanging around waiting for buses when I left. In the olden days, I would have stayed until they were gone but, hey, Not My Job.


Will the Sailors do this again? I don’t know. They made a few dollars, I’m sure, and it was manageable, but I don’t know if they will have the fire in the belly, even for a small event. Certainly it was easy enough on the tabbing side and helping with registration, and I’d be happy to do it again for them. Anything else? Not. My. Job.

___


No comments: