Thursday, December 03, 2015

In which we pack up our troubles in our old kit bag and go to New Jersey

Prefs opened this morning for the Tiggers.

In the past, I would open prefs on Tuesday and close them on Thursday. The reason I changed is because I would update the judge list on Tuesday an hour after prefs opened. I would update the judge list twice on Wednesday. And then I would update the list again Thursday morning. And each time I would send out a general message, and everyone’s prefs would be all screwy and need adjusting. And then on Friday morning some lone lorn creetur’ would come to me explaining how sun spots had affect their brain all week and they only got access now and could they get in and I would reopen them one more time for a few minutes so the LLC could get ‘em in quickly. To say that all of this happened every time would not be an exaggeration. In fact, often there were multiple LLCs. Quelle pain, as the Frenchies don’t exactly say. My solution to this was to open prefs the day before, when the judge flu had by now done its damnedest, and leave ‘em open the morning of the event, as it would make no difference to me one way or the other if we were using tabroom. This was not true of old TRPC, where it benefitted you to enter data early and change it along the way. Tabroom, being live online, is always up to date. There’s a big difference, to everyone’s benefit. It just takes a while to adjust.

Another adjustment is that I no longer send out a long essay explaining MJP to the teeming masses. I did get one request for info, and sent that person the old long essay, but by now, most people know what it is, and for better or worse, they get it. I can’t say that I’ve seen anyone whining about it on social media lately, but whether that indicates that they’re simply tired of whining about it or they’ve actually come to accept it as a good thing, I do not know. For that matter, I don’t whine about it anymore either, although my whining was against folks who thought that a low ranking equals a strike, and that getting a mutual 4 or 5 was a crime against humanity. Maybe it’s because we’re better now at not giving 4s and 5s to in-contention teams, or maybe it’s because the storming of the tab room has quieted down almost completely. For a while I was thinking of hiring on some muscle for protection, but I seem to have settled instead for Father M and the Paginator, the former of which has spiritual muscle and the latter of which has a deceptive glow of likeability, both of which I lack and which seem to quell the waters when they roil. (I can imagine the P muttering, What do you mean “deceptive glow,” but as I’ve gotten to know him, well, what can I say?)

So, off to New Jersey tomorrow morning. No doubt we’ll have to fight our way through the anti-Woody contingent, life on campuses being what it is today. I would comment on this sort of thing if I had something intelligent to say, but I don’t, and there you are. You probably have nothing intelligent to say either, and since neither of us is running for President, both of us don’t have to say it. If that’s not a blessed relief, I don’t know what is.



No comments: