Tuesday, December 22, 2015

In which we get bitter over the judges

I have this spiel that I riff on at the openings of some of the local tournaments I run, most notably the CFL events. Given that the CFL has unique rules (for instance, no flip in PF), it’s not a bad idea to run through them briefly. Also, these sorts of tournaments tend to have a lot of new or fairly new judges, and it’s nice to get them on the same page with things like speaker points. I don’t address them as totally ignorant of the activities, given that our rules demand that they get training before they judge, and, in fact, we give training at these events. Mostly I just guide them through the particulars of what to do on that day.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

We have a rule that there’s no low point wins. It makes sense educationally that students in the first or second debates of their career understand why they won or lost, and turning a victory into a LPW beclouds that issue. (For that matter, it’s pretty cloudy in most cases, regardless of venue, given that speaker points are defined by the person applying them, varying from individual to individual with no objective criteria in the known world, and therefore the idea that they’re inverted vis-à-vis the win of a round is explicable only by sophistry that I, for one, would never attempt, but which seems accepted by the general population, despite its inherent subjectivism.[1]) Let’s make victories and losses clear, I say. After all, we’ve already established an objective criterion for what the points should be in my opening remarks (also reprinted on the ballots). Isn’t this better than telling newbies: “Hey, you both won and lost, and there’s no understandable explanation I can offer except the inner workings of my unique brain that is too befuddled to have listened to the opening remarks where they said no LPWs.” So the LPWs come in, not a lot, but too many, given that we want precisely none. I can’t go chasing all these people down, so we accept them. Great job, judge!

I also suggest that judges do not tie points. Again, this is in aid of a clearly understood win/loss. We will chase them down for this at Grands, but that has 20 teams in two divisions, as compared to 400 attendees climbing the proverbial walls and we’re lucky if we can get out of their before St. Swithin’s Day. I’m pretty clear about this in the opening remarks. Result? PF and Policy rounds with all 4 debaters getting the same points. If equality is justice we have finally attained it, if we’re okay with make-believe equality and false justice. How do you win/lose a round where you’re all tied? I’m sure the novices who got these ballots can explain it at length.

And then there’s 30s. Please don’t, I say. I beg your pardon, they reply, but I’ll do what I damn well please. Sigh.

The thing is, judges are a bunch of arrogant bastids. It’s as simple as that. No matter what you tell them, they’ll do what they damned well please. Or at least some of them will. My key request to student judges in my opening remarks is that they be the judges they wish they had had when they were novices. Which is the perfect paradigm for a student judge. But plenty of them don’t even bother to come to the opening meeting, or they don’t pay attention, and they already know everything they need to know so will you please get on with it? There are plenty of adult judges who similarly don’t follow instructions, but on their part it’s not arrogance so much as ignorance, I think, despite the fact that we have trained them. Or confusion, if you want to be nice about it. (I don’t.) To overcome the twin problems of arrogance and ignorance, I give a pretty damned entertaining opening assembly. I give ‘em a great performance. Half the time they applaud at the end.

And then half of them do what they damned well please, as if I had never said a word. What do they care about the rules of the league, or the education of the students?

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

--



[1] By the way, I might want to offer this as the most complicated sentence I’ve ever attempted, which is only fitting, given the subject.

No comments: