Tuesday, June 02, 2015

In which things start to solidify, or not, as the case may be


I've been spending a bunch of time talking to Kaz about next year, up through Columbia, which apparently won’t conflict with Emory for a change. And since Newark has already retreated from that weekend at the end of January (I’m assuming they’ll hold firm on their early Jan date), and Byram has moved to the Earlybird slot, it’s all squirrels to the nuts, or something like that. Of course, that means even more tinkering with my new agnostic tournament calendar, but so it goes. Who doesn’t like changing their good old html files on a regular basis?

I do have to admit that I’m constantly meditating about redoing the website completely in something a little less 1995, but I just can’t see investing the time in it at the moment. I’ll wait until I no longer have anything that anyone wants to look at, but plenty of time to create it for them not to look at it, and I’ll go on from there.

The old Sailors have asked for some info on how to Bump, which I’ve happily passed along to them. Of course, not having to do Bump ever again was high on the Menick Retire-O-Meter. Members of the Vast Coachean Army are well aware of how little I enjoyed the stress of being a tournament director. I spent twenty years living in terror of something going horribly wrong, leaving a trail of death and destruction worthy of a Michael Bay movie, and I feel like I got out in the nick of time, like Indiana Jones grabbing his hat just as the gate came down. I mean, look at the list: trophies and staff and food and judges and rooms and custodians and assistant principals and tax forms and concessions and housing and making sure the apostrophe was correct on the signs for the judges’ lounges and God knows what else. Jeesh.

And, oh yeah, I started uploading my pix to Flickr Sunday afternoon. Last night it was about half done. Jeesh and jeesh again.

No comments: