Thursday, February 05, 2015

In which we dispense with at least one baroque genius


I’m beavering away at the DJ, working on a section in a book about good fats versus bad fats, listening to the Goldberg Variations in the background, when someone appears at my door and asks if I’m on hold.

Sorry, Bach. It’s come to that.

Speaking of music, I was in Manhattan yesterday and saw a big new collection of sheet music, a ukulele fake-book. That should make a nice Christmas present for all my fellow tabbers. All they’ll need after that is ukuleles.

For those of you (I think the exact number is 1 1/2) who only follow the “forensics” label on coachean blog articles, this is fair warning that I am going to stop using any labels. I only ever use one, and that’s it. If I remember correctly, the use of labels came up when certain people (numbering exactly 1 1/2) suggested that they were only interested in coachean musings when they were, indeed, related to coaching (pronounced co-ack-ing). Sure, said I, but when push comes to shove, and I’ve now been pushing and shoving these labels for a couple of years now, forensics is about it, unless I do a piece dedicated to O’C and have to draw on the “rude” label. I’ll start (or more to the point, stop) the labeling practice next week.

We seem to be going into the Scarswegian weekend without a major or even a minor blizzard. My lead PFers are taking the month off for a couple of reasons, not least among them being the weakness of the rez. We did a practice round Tuesday, and it wasn’t promising. If you have to weigh in terms of reducing poverty, either it does or it doesn’t, and once this question of fact is determined, you can go out and smoke a cigar for the rest of the round. Globalization being such a rich topic, and poverty reduction being such a rich topic, it’s a shame we couldn’t get a nicely rounded topic on one or the other. We do get to smoke all those cigars, though. In light of our new relationship with our neighbors 90 miles to the south, this will probably, if nothing else, reduce poverty in Cuba. There’s a bright side to everything. 

Speaking of this practice round, btw, I got to use my nifty new iPad keyboard, which I was inspired to buy after seeing Bro J use his setup at Bigle X. I was very pleased with the results. Now that you can run a real version of Excel on the machine, well, there you are. Numbers, the Apple spreadsheet, either on the Mac or the iPad, never really did it for me. I was raised on Excel (or to be more precise, its predecessor Lotus 1-2-3), and at any point where I can’t use all the features I’m used to, I start writing angry letters to the Times. I’m going to try doing most of my tabbing on the iPad this weekend, meanwhile. I’m used to the 13-inch MacBook screen, but I’ve used smaller in my day (once, years ago, way smaller, a PowerBook, the tiniest Mac ever seen). The question is, will it matter? We’ll see.


1 comment:

Ryan Miller said...

Wait, I'm 1.5 people now? I guess I'll have to go back to tolerating the occasional Disney Deluge.