Sunday, February 01, 2015

In which we challenge seriousness

There is something to be said for a weekend off. Following three busy weekends at Newark, Bigle and Gem, I spent this last weekend completely not debate-busy. I saw to a few chores, went out to eat, read a bit, did some vacation planning. I’d forgotten how enjoyable being not debate-busy could be. I even started wondering about what would happen if I weren’t debate-busy every weekend, but then I realized that I’d be bored stiff, so I put that one away for a while.

I did meditate a bit on debate as fun. Remember, I learned about debate from my daughter, whose philosophy on the subject was always fun first. Of course, she enjoyed actually debating—don’t get me wrong—and she was quite good at it, earning her full allotment of TOC bids over the years. But she never went to TOC, because the one year she would have, when she was a senior, it conflicted with the state tournament, where all her friends were going to be. It was no contest. She was known to blow off competing in a final round if she hadn’t eaten all day. "I'm hungry" was reason enough. And she was arguably the world’s worst cheater in Spades, although a bunch of her card-playing cronies at tournaments would give her a run for her money for that title. The point is, she used debate to learn and enjoy debate stuff, and then to travel around a little bit and expand her pool of friends and to generally augment her high school education.

Those were the good old days. As I said, I learned from her. I still believe that debate qua debate is great fun, including the learning that goes into doing it well, but I also like all the socializing one gets outside of one’s own home base. One of the things that saddens me is to see schools who never talk to a soul outside of their own school, who haul the wagons into a circle no outsider can intrude upon. You have the opportunity to meet all kinds of new people, and you actively avoid it? Granted, defining one’s clique may be a primal urge, especially in the young, but one would think that the intellectual adventuring required in debate would help nibble away at that. If you’ve been a debater for a few years and you haven’t made friends with people on other teams, you’re missing out on something. If it’s because it’s hard for you to make friends, I get it. If it’s because you stay behind the curtain with the rest of your school, then I don’t.

Worse than this is what I see as the tendency to make debate itself not fun. Intellectual adventure is one of the great experiences of life. Learning new stuff, being exposed to new ideas, venturing in unexplored territory—that’s one of the things that life is all about. But there’s a whole branch of debate these days that instead of choosing growth has chosen exclusion, proselytizing and general bitterness. I can hear it coming from the rooms where debates are taking place, where everyone is so damned angry you wonder why they’re even bothering. And it’s not just the students. The coaches and judges are just as angry and negative. Axes are being ground, presumably to get messages across, but I’ve always maintained that debate rounds are pretty limited in their ability to send messages. There’s better forums, and, I wonder if, as often as not, it’s the choir that’s being preached to. Regardless, the pounding grind not of axes but of weekly $ircuit debate is deadening enough. One tries to get so very good at something so very narrow and, in the broader scope of things, not particularly important, to the exclusion of everything else. To paraphrase Auntie Mame, life is a buffet, and too many poor sucker debaters are sitting at one corner of the table eating the same hardtack meal after meal.

I promise you that, no matter how many years pass, you will remember pretty much all of your debate rounds. You will remember thirty years hence that you beat so-and-so by running such-and-such. If you make debating in high school that important, its importance to your existence won’t diminish over time. But is that really what you want to remember thirty hears hence? Do you want to remember the time you debated 16 hours straight and beat the crap out of all comers, or do you want to remember the time you said screw it and your team and that other team from two states over went out and had barbecue and ended up at the miniature golf course?

Yeah, I don’t take debate that seriously. And I don’t consider that a failing on my part.


No comments: