Tuesday, February 03, 2015

In which we address the lovelorn


So it turns out that next Saturday, on which we will be seeing Penn, Harvard and Berkeley all going at it, is Valentine’s Day. This had eluded me completely, but I am told that, because of this, venues are finding it hard to get judges. Now I’ve given this a lot of thought. Debate judges. Valentine’s Day. Seriously, people. These two are like a bad PF resolution, in that they really never come into conflict. There’s got to be some other reason for the problem. So I did some research. It turns out that February 14th, in 1921, was the date that Skeezix appeared on the Wallets’ doorstep in the comic strip “Gasoline Alley.” No wonder it’s hard to get judges that day. The scales have lifted from my eyes.

Looking at my schedule, I realize that things are very much going in their last innings. After Scarsdale and Penn, there’s the MHL Blowout finale, then Lakeland, then a qualifier for CatNats and the NYSDCA championships, and that’s about it. Of course, around March the Last Chance Qualifier for the NYSFL appears. And then reappears, and then reappears again. There is no dearth of last chances to get into this tournament that will, most likely, be summarily won by all of those people who qual’d their first chance. This is definitely part of the split personality of that state organization, which may just be too generous. Then again, I remember once hearing someone talk about big events, championships and the like, and how few people get to attend them and how much fun they can be for students. Travel is broadening, right? So why not travel a few young ‘uns once in a while, if you can afford it and if they can qualify, according to the rules of the game, however welcoming those rules might be? Let’s face it: I may be the wrong person to be talking about this since I never get on planes much anymore for debate (although I have secured my NDCA reservations, which I feel obliged to attend as a board member). I’m a stay-at-home coach. The exception is, for Sailors, qualifying for CatNats or NDCA or the like. Which puts the ball in their court, I guess. If you win it, I will come. Or words to that effect.

Come April, in any case, I will be pretty much done for the year, unless we have a qualifier for CatNats. Which I probably won’t be able to attend, as I’ll just be getting back from my early May vacation and will have DJ work to catch up on. Oh, well.

Anyhow, all you debate judges who find yourselves dateless on Valentine’s Day are invited to join me for Diet Coke at the food court at Penn. My treat. It’s the least I can do to mend those broken hearts.


No comments: