Thursday, September 19, 2013

The last 'nanigans come down the runway

Eponymous Matt says he was able to load the TRPC software and it ran for a while before giving him some errors. I’ll take that as a good sign. If it weren’t going to run at all, it wouldn’t run from the get-go. Run-time errors after that are probably a result of lack of real data. I’ll bring a back-up PC to the Pups just in case, plus Catholic Charlie will have one, and of course we could do it all on one machine (I did that last year), but multiples are better. Meanwhile, the Pups ’nanigan defenses, which continue to roll down the pike, have ranged from petulance (always a winner in my book) to wounded doe-ism to good old-fashioned Big Daddy mendacity. Some of them have surprised me, not so much in their content but in their source, but most of them, when you boil them down, are the same old same old from the Usual Suspects. I know you’d like it if I named names and provided all the gory details, but by now the members of the VCA are well aware that my point is not to accuse individuals of offenses real or imagined, but simply to point out that offenses occur, and that they are noted on the other end, and one is better off not committing offenses in the first place. Keep in mind that mistakes are not offenses, because if we weren’t allowed to make mistakes, we’d all be up the creek. Repeating mistakes, on the other hand, is a different business. One’s goal in life ought to be to go forth and make new mistakes rather than falling into the rut of repeating the old ones. Words to live by, sort of.

Meanwhile, I’ve been reading up on OS7, and I’m starting to believe that it looks really like quite an advance. I won’t load it right away, having been burned by that in the past given Apple’s history with .00 releases, but in a couple of weeks, definitely. Of course, that means I have to get this bloody Mophie battery off the phone, which is an adventure in itself. I like having decent battery life, but this thing is tighter than [supply your own metaphor for some really tight thing]. Oh, well. After that, I’ll have to decide about going to the new OS on the Mac, which I gather is coming around October. I’ve never been dissatisfied with a Mac upgrade in the past; my only worry is that my old Pro is at the edge of the ability to run the new software, which could be a problem. We’ll see. Sometimes in that situation it is best to leave well enough alone. After all, my iPad is already un-updatable, so I know what it’s like to be an orphan. And don’t ask me about my first generation Touch!

Not much else going on, as one’s head is mostly in the tournament at hand. I do need to figure out the subject areas for the Sailors’ meetings so that by the first debate they’re actually ready to compete, but that’s no big deal, just a matter of organization. I’m really, really hoping that we get a good turnout for the second meeting. I’m worried that none of the noobs have as yet signed up for the team, but that always does take a boatload of harassment on my part. Why it is so hard to send me an email and then respond to a group invitation is beyond me. Maybe these kids nowadays really don’t understand email. Could it have really gotten beyond them? Or have they gotten beyond it? I mean, email may not be their first choice for interwebs communication, but it’s a mode they have to learn and utilize. Then again, maybe all the noobs read my mind and preemptively have gotten off my lawn. I wouldn’t blame them if that were the case.

No comments: