Tuesday, September 17, 2013

So You Want to be a Sailor!

Tonight is the noobs inaugural meeting. My team leaders have been pounding the nautical pavement, and the fruits of their labors will finally be seen. There may indeed be potential debaters, at least according to Pickles, our former middle school debater. Fingers crossed. Regardless, I’ve updated the team rules: it’s amazing how much things change when you think things aren’t changing much. And we can spend a little time at the meeting lighting fires under those returnees who haven’t moved over to the new Google group. Which means I can start the season by telling people to get off my lawn. What more can I ask?

For reasons that elude me, it was suggested that I consider running for one of the board seats on the NDCA. This is a group I like that I think has a lot of unrealized potential, so I decided to do it. I sent them a candidacy statement, extolling my many virtues and/or lack thereof, and voting will take place this month, and either I’m in or I’m not. I would have asked O’C for some excess campaign buttons, but all the ones he has say either Mondale, Muskie, Burr or Debs, so they wouldn’t be of much use. Maybe I’ll haul out a few What Would Menick Do shirts and pass them around to the campaign staff. Right after I get myself a campaign staff…

The adventure of the Pups continues, and rather remarkably. I have to say, if I was expecting things to lighten up after last year’s record-setting season of Forensicians Behaving Badly, I was in a total dream world. Aside from the various ’nanigans, there have also been textbook imperiousness, profound obtuseness, blatant impoliteness, and chutzpah as big as the Ritz. Fortunately, there have also been some very nice people asking reasonable questions I’ve been happy to answer, and making polite requests to which I have been eager to comply. So it’s not all snips and snails and puppy dog tails, I’m happy to report. It’s just that the bad things overpower the good things, and take up so much more of one’s time.

No comments: