Friday, February 17, 2012

I'd rather be in Philadelphia

I have officially posted the Coachean Debate Dictionary (V1.0) in the greatest hits. You may think of it as less than a greatest hit. You may think of it as the greatest miss, or a sacrifice fly, or a bunt, but I liked it, and it's my website, and who needs you, you spalpeen!!!

I leave today for the Venice of Pennsylvania, or whatever they call it. They probably do call it the Venice of Pennsylvania, since about half the places I've visited in my life have been the Venice of something or other, including Venice, which refers to itself as the Venice of Italy, which is a hell of a lot better than the Philadelphia of Italy, at least in my estimation. I was once in a car driving from the Oklahoma City airport to the University of Oklahoma, looking out on a bleak, flat expanse of bleak flatness, and the driver proudly announced that there is more waterfront property in Oklahoma than any other state. I did not challenge this statement; no doubt Oklahoma City is the Venice of Oklahoma, and I'm perfectly happy to let people believe what they want to believe. I've read my John Stuart Mill. I'm down with both liberty and truth. (Does anybody still read John Stuart Mill anymore? Does anybody still wear a hat?)

To all those at those other schools holding tournaments this weekend, have fun. In a way, this is the end of the normal season for all practical purposes. In these here parts, we're on to the MHL blowout and the various qualifiers and finals, with only lone lorn Lakeland between us and invitational freedom. The golf clubs are staring at me from their berth in the basement, and I am staring back.

Ahhhhhh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Does anyone still wear a hat?"

I am laughing out loud right now and no one around me understands why.