Thursday, February 24, 2011

Would you like bugs with that fodder?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and I now stand to testify that Mr. Chavez has already wasted his completely and may prove to be of no further use to mankind. During the usual Sporcle sessions in the tab room last weekend, Jonathan demonstrated not simply a good memory for Academy Awards, not simply an encyclopedic memory of Academy Awards, but rather an ability to rattle off obscure and complete data in such a way as to frighten ordinary mortals. At least it frightened me, and I’m as ordinary as they come. Thank God this data is of no practical use. If it were, Chavez would be certifiably dangerous.

Last night on TVFT we talked some more about award ceremonies, continuing CP’s and my conversation from the previous week and not venturing too far from my original position that they are usually a good and useful thing, but they need to be swiftly executed. Listen to the podcast if you’re a tournament director, and follow our prescriptions. Please. Your attendees will thank you for it. In keeping with the spirit of the discussion, it’s the shortest TVFT to date! (Of course, following the logic that the best TVFTs are the shortest ones, no TVFT would be the best of all!)

I spent some time over the last couple of days securing accommodations and transportation to various events including TOC, NDCA and NYSDCA. Tomorrow I will do likewise for CIA, FBI, FDR and CBGB; after that, I will be moving on to whole words. Let me tell you, some of these were easier than others. TOC? No way you can do the so-called tournament hotel, but I found something not far away that will save the Sailor treasury a couple of hundred bucks, so there. NYSDCA folks were nice, although the invitation directs you to a woman who has nothing to do with the actual reservations. I warned her to take her phone off the hook for a couple of weeks. As for Scranton, that was the best, with a working dedicated hotel reservation site. My problem is three people, one to a room. I’m hoping that O’C or someone will come through with some bed fodder to take up the slack.

Bed fodder? That sounds strangely…strange. “Hi, my name is Bruce, I’ll be your bed fodder for the weekend.” Yep. Definitely strange.

2 comments:

Palmer said...

I will gladly certify that Mr Chavez is plenty dangerous. Plenty.

Chavez said...

I have nothing to add to this other than to say, I will neither confirm nor deny Palmer's assessment.