Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Just call me Mary Sunshine

We TVFTed last night, talking about MJP in general, and specifically how we’d do it at Yale. Check it out, if you’re interested. JV joined us for the first time, using his iPhone. So, so moderne.

Speaking of which, the rankings at the Pups go live tonight at 7:00. No judges are double-entered. All the hireds are in a row. I’ve asked a couple of people to post philosophy wikis. I’ve marked up any conflicts I know about. There isn’t much left to do until we arrive there on Friday. I’ll be picking up the Sailors bright and early, so I’ll be there for all of registration, plenty of time to upload, prune and generally be prepared. And thus will the competitive season begin, at least for me. Lovely.

Tonight we try again to have a debate team at El Huddo. I’m trusting that new recruits have been found under the various nautical rocks in the place, otherwise the ship of Hud will officially be renamed the Flying Dutchman. (Cue the Wagner!) Maybe it’s me. Maybe the students at the school take umbrage at the cut of my jib. Confound it, I’ve tried cutting my jib other ways, but this is the only one that works. Maybe they don’t like my jokes. Actually, maybe they realize that I never joke. As members of the VCA know, nothing on this page is ever intended as humor. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I yam what I yam. Or maybe it’s just debate in general. Maybe the freshmen heard the latest Harvard-Westlake disad and didn’t want any part of it. Maybe the Hud freshmen simply don’t believe that nuclear weapons exist, although, remarkably, two thirds of them believe that we are visited regularly by extraterrestrials in interstellar vehicles because aliens wish they had Justin Bieber just like humans. I don’t know. I don’t try to analyze it. I just hope tonight is different. We’ll see. For that matter, although as I mentioned last week we reckoned Speecho-Americans by the dozens, only one of them has actually officially joined the team. My fallback position is always, well, maybe O’C will hire me as an assistant coach in charge of morale. I’d hate to give up now once I’ve finally become a member of the National Debate Coaches Association.

Meanwhile, as I read pieces from the Speechonauts, I wonder if I am dysfunctional enough to work with these people. These folks eat despair for breakfast. I gather they think that the more gloom they can instill in their judges, the higher their ranks. Even their HIs make you want to slash your wrists. I’m talking to some potential coaches over the next couple of weekends. Anyone with rose-colored glasses need not apply.

No comments: