Friday, September 03, 2010

And so we (sort of) bid a fond farewell to #DiDeAd


Interestingly enough, in the rush of all the disclosure mania, someone complained in a comment about my musings concerning the DiDeAd. Obviously the memo on the nature of this blog was not as widely disseminated as I had thought. The VCA knows full well that, in a blog about me, me gets to be the subject, in all me’s glory, in whatever me considers fit for public consumption. That me occasionally gets serious does not mean that me also doesn’t occasionally not get serious. Life is not all debate. Really. Trust me on this.

(BTW, by what logic do we capitalize I but we don't capitalize me? It's the same person, after all.)

If you followed #DiDeAd on Twitter, you probably got a sense, first, that we had a good time, and second, O’C was never once seen without his iPhone in his hand. I tweeted when I remembered to, or when my battery wasn’t dead, the occasional bon mot, shall we say. That seemed to be enough, given O’C’s blanket coverage of events. I’ll probably expand on details in the coming days, but suffice it to say that the idea proved to be a good one. There aren’t that many places you can travel with extended family and friends successfully, because everybody likes to travel the way they like to travel. The trips I usually take would confound many people, and vice versa. For instance, the idea of going on a vacation to relax is incomprehensible to me: I go on vacation to explore. Not that I’m the world’s greatest traveler by any means, but I’m a pretty decent tourist, relatively low maintenance and thoroughly interested. I also tend to prefer urban destinations. I could never spend a week on the beach reading, for instance. First of all, I already read enough beach lit at the DJ, plus I couldn’t care less about the sun and while I like getting wet on a hot day, if God had wanted me to swim he would have given me gills. (By the same token, if God had wanted us to fly, he would have given us tickets.) However, going to Disney World erases all the differences of personal preference. Provided your plan is to attack the parks, aside from maybe you don’t like this or that particular attraction, what you want to do is see as much as possible, as stress-free as possible, and everybody wants the exact same thing. So you can, indeed, assemble friends and extended family and have it work because you all have the same goal in mind. I recommend it. The key is deciding to give it a go in the first place, floating the idea to your friends and extended family to see if they bite. The DiDeAd group bit. A splendid time was had by all.

I’ll post some pix soon enough, and try to get Kaz’s and O’C’s and Kt’s as well for a “best of.” I also made a short video that I’ll see if it’s worth passing along. Meanwhile, we gear up for business again with next week’s TVFT on disclosure (don’t forget to submit questions it you have any), Vassar RR this weekend (although I’ll only be there in spirit), tucking into Yale for real (where are the Pup judges?!?), the NYCFL directors’ meeting, working with the Speecho-American Sailors on their pieces, working on NYSDCA, prepping for the MHL Workshop, and, oh, some other stuff.

Welcome back, me.

No comments: