Tuesday, September 14, 2010

DiDeAd Part 4

I find it remarkable that even though we spent full days in MK and DHS, we didn’t do everything. Nor did we mosey and just absorb things. Not that we were total commando—we stopped and smelled plenty of roses, and given the small crowds we didn’t spend much time in any lines—but there’s just so much to do that you can’t do it all in one day and still have any fun doing it. Before we left there had been much discussion about which might be one- and which two-day parks. I insisted the Epcot was the latter, and got everyone’s agreement after the fact. Epcot absolutely requires moseying if you really wish to enjoy the countries. You’ve got to stop and watch whatever entertainments come your way. You’ve got to enjoy the food. (You’ve got to search for hidden Mickeys.)
Our first Epcot day was the third day of the trip.

To a degree, the two-day plan is mostly Future World on day one and countries on day two (or vice versa in Kaz’s case, seeing that she had already done our day two as her day one). So you ramble into the park at the usual half hour in advance (although this time O’C wandered off big time: putting together a round robin the day you get back from vacation sort of does require a little phone time; even I’ll admit that) and head for the big E tickets on the near side of the park. (For that matter, the World Showcase doesn’t even open until 11:00.) That means Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin’ (via Fastpass), etc. Mission Space, of course, is the attraction where, last time, O’C’s brain got loose in his skull and he ended up in the Disney World infirmary with Doctor Mickey trying to intubate him. As the VCA knows, his brain never did settle back correctly, which explains a lot of things, so he skipped the opportunity to shake it even more loose this time around. Of course, what he was really polishing himself up for was Captain EO. Or, maybe better, Captain Oy. Oy. Why does the man so like this? I guess it must be the Lucas connection, but there’s also a soupcon of Michael Jackson fandom as well. I can’t say I ever cared much about MJ one way or another; he was after my time, so to speak, although I do like the way he imitates Bob Fosse. Then again, I was getting pretty tired of Honey I Shrunk the Audience (and don’t ask about Journey into the Imagination, which seems to get worse every time I see it). Anyhow, our attendance at Captain EO was marked by many strange squawks and squeals that I can neither comprehend nor imitate. I’m surprised they didn’t throw us out. The worst thing was, the squawks and squeals were contagious, and kindred spirits in the audience started squawking and squealing along with him. That was one weird half hour marked, of course, by the purchase of a U-Haul of Captain EO merchandise. I have to admit, I bought a hat, more because I like the hat than I liked Captain EO. I’ll wear it to tournaments whenever O’C needs cheering up. I just ask the VCA to remember that’s why I’m doing it. Please. I’ve got a sick friend.

This was the day we headed off to Fantasia Gardens for miniature golf, the video of which I’ve posted here. The video is self-explanatory. I have to admit I was struck dumb by O’C’s display of athletic prowess. I mean, it’s not like I expected the secret PGA pro to emerge or anything, but all those years of watching Howard the Duck over and over again have wreaked their havoc. See for yourself.

We capped that night off with a visit to the Biergarten, with those enormous steins of beer. Then we went back to the motel early, all except Kaz who stayed for Illuminations, seeing that she’d be leaving the next day.

The trip remained solidly enjoyable. Let me tell you, it was hot out there playing miniature golf. I’d do it again in a minute. Let me know if there’s a mini course near your tournament, and I’ll be there with the proverbial bells on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed leading the Fanboy Troops in the Captain Eo audience. My own version of the VCA, of course.