Tuesday, July 14, 2009

More on the expunging of the Feed, et cetera

So Palmer complains that this blog has become too mix-and-match for him, but it’s hard for me to tell, since I never read it. But I’m willing to believe that he’s right (he usually is, except for when he disagrees with me), so I’ve created an entirely separate blog for feeding. I will cross-reference it here, so you’ll know what you’re missing, but CL will go back to whatever it is that CL is famous for, and CF will carry on the new tradition of posting articles of enormous interest that you should read but probably won’t. In other words, I am doing what Solomon suggested and cutting myself in half, or something like that. Whatever it takes to keep Palmer happy.

It will take a little time to polish up the new blog. At the moment, it’s black, so you won’t confuse it with this one (which, if you haven’t noticed, is white). I’m also still putting out the raw feed, which is stuff of interest but not that interesting, I guess, and maybe I’ve evolved out of that with the annotated feed. Hard to say. The experiment continues.

Meanwhile, I’ve got a big long piece continuing the PF series that I need to polish, which I should post tomorrow, about case structure. The fact that the piece is endless probably won’t disguise the fact that the point of it is amazingly simplistic. Easy stuff is always the hardest to explain.

On the home front, I’ve finally finished my first run through of all my iPhoto pix. Now to edit down to the good ones. The nice thing about digital versus film is the elimination of the literal cost of the bad-to-good ratio. The percentage of good pix is about the same regardless of the medium, but digital doesn’t cost anything; it always used to pain me, throwing away five or more pictures for every one kept, but why keep crappy pictures? Even professional photographers don’t exclusively take good pictures: they probably work up an even higher ratio of tossed to kept. (Throw in film and bracketing, and you’ve got 5 to 1 just on exposure, regardless of the content.) I used to travel with 30 or 40 film canisters. Now I just charge my camera. I also used to carry a camera around my neck that weighed about as much as Pip the Wondercat. I have to admit, I don’t miss lugging around the weight, but I do miss the sharp lenses, especially this one zoom I used to have… Oh, well. It’s either convenience (camera in pocket) or excellence, and I can guarantee the former and only hope for the latter, so for the foreseeable F, no digital SLR for me. (Maybe it’s just that I need to get buff. More buff, I mean. Excuse me: I’m going to drop down and give myself twenty.)

And what did you miss in the Coachean Feed today? Religious intolerance in Ireland, kidney donations for money, affirmative action, immunization, Plato, Nozick, international handouts and a new social network for Policians. Nothing there of concern to any of you, I’m sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CP is right -- this is a good change. We can still access the feed, too!