Thursday, February 26, 2009

A new tale, plus other odds and ends; in other words, enough of rules for a while

All right, I’ve got all that off my chest, so let’s get back to business as usual.

First of all, last weekend was the final MHL of the season. How better to acknowledge it than with a new Tale of Debate Adventure? You’ll find the audio version here on The View from Tab, and the pdf version here, just out in the cloud in general. If you crave more of the same, and haven’t listened to the first T of D A, I’ve reorganized the right-hand column to make these more prominent. I expect more will come eventually, unless I get sued for slander and/or libel and/or gross exaggeration over the ones I’ve already done, so I figured I might as well make room for them. (If you subscribe to The View from Tab on iTunes, by the way, you’ll get these turning up on your iPod automatically. What’s stopping you?)

I managed to get involved in that whole rules thing, so I put aside the Modest Novice for a while, but I promise, again, to sort it all out within the next week or two. If you haven’t already done so, go on over to ModestNovice.org and check out where we are so far. Complaining about the outcome will do you no good if you haven’t participated in the ingo, if you know what I mean. (And, knowing you, you probably do.)

Coming up this weekend is Lakeland, which I’ll be tabbing with O’C, although his approach will be to arrive by stretch limo in the early evening, thus avoiding having to rub elbows with the hoi and the polloi during registration, a plan he intends to follow a lot in the coming year. Well, lah-di-dah, as they say. (He promises he’ll be at all of Bump, however. What a prince.) He’s also getting bivouacked at the chez Friday night; maybe new Tales of D A will ensue. You never know. Anyhow, Friday and Saturday are the invitational as usual, but Saturday is also the Regionals competition for States, the last-ditch chance for people to grab a full qual in one swell foop. Given that Stefan has enough Policians at the invitational to invade Cuba, I have no idea where he is going to put all these people. Oh, well. That’s his problem. O’C and I will sort it all out tab-wise for Catholic Charlie, who is our Statesman as well as our Catholician. (How did he get all the thankless jobs?)

And through it all, I now have a Wii, which really is the perfect system for people who like games but don’t have any time to play them. So far all I’ve done is begin working my way through the Lego version of Star Wars, and I’m already in the middle of Episode II, which for me is epic, given that I usually never get past the first level in anything before giving up in disgust. My success now might be attributable to a very forgiving system that allows you to sort of kill stuff without getting too killed yourself, which, as I say, is just my style. When I retire, I’ll get an Xbox 360 (which will probably be up to 720 by then), but meanwhile the Wii suits me just fine. Of course, I bought the thing to play Wii Sports when my daughter drops in for a visit, but I haven’t even cracked open the cellophane on that one yet. I think tonight I face Count Duku. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm listening to your skewering of me as I write this. Cute. Very cute.

I'm arriving during the first round. It's not THAT late! And I won't be doing it THAT often!

Anonymous said...

I am still laughing. The funniest MP3 you have ever uploaded. Thank you. I'm honored.