Wednesday, April 09, 2008

What I really need is an O'C-style picture of the trivia finalists with their arms around one another as if they really were some kind of friends...

Things are sort of nutty at the moment at the Day Job, so I’ll keep this brief. I could just forego it completely, but I feel that the world might end as a result, and then where would we be? Or course, if you really wanted to improve your brain, rather than rotting it, you’d read my feed instead of reading my blog, but what do you know, you spalpeen!

I’m growing rather fond of Google Reader. It has some nice features, including an attractive starting page, unlike, say, just pulling the RSS out of Safari, which is a bit too utilitarian for my blood. (Speaking of which, I just listened to an old Philosophy Bites podcast on J.S.M. and true utilitarianism, and I must say, this series of conversations remains the most interesting and the least boringly academic you can possibly imagine. I’ve become quite the fan.) Not long ago I also migrated out of a my.yahoo home page to an iGoogle home page. I’m really getting googled up here. If they suddenly turn evil, I’m screwed.

After a lively batch of Team Bean Trivia last evening (modified from the Lexington one-person version so that people could beat up on one another as groups, rather than individuals, and sure enough, the winning Lexington strategy became clear early on, and we’ll ignore the fact that the event was won by a renegade Speecho-American), one walked off into the night realizing that this was the last assembly of the Sailors until next year, at least as far as official meetings are concerned. This weekend is, I guess, the real valedictory. Starting next week, I’ll work with 1F Shortie G “Good Old Alli” on CatNats. Should be fun.

Tonight I’ll port TNC over from tabroom to Evil TRPC. I had intended to do it last night but I got caught up in some other business over Spanish train transportation, and then I was just too tired. Waking up in the middle of the night to work out the details of some fiction I’m working on didn’t help, meaning the usual drag out of bed this morning. I shouldn’t work on my own writing. It doesn’t exactly stress me out, but it does wake me up in the middle of the night, which is the only free time I have for meditations on such things. I lie there fighting with either Pip or Tik (prounounced teek) over turf rights and work out detail after detail. The good news is that at least I remember what I worked out when I do wake up. For instance, the problem with creating a machine that self destructs is keeping it from destroying itself before you’re finished building it. That thought crystallized much for me. In fact, it’s the story of my life.

[Sigh…]

No comments: