Friday, November 02, 2007

Fever all through the night; CP and the undead; money for nothing; do what I tell you to do and I'll be happy as a [you know the drill]

I managed to forget to post yesterday, which is, no doubt, a reflection of bumpomania. I mean, everything’s about settled, and I’m prepping the invoices, and we’ve got the rooms, and the housing is manageable, so aside from the presumed certainty of earthquakes, tornados, locusts and barn rot, things are looking good. One or two yabbos are keeping me hanging about this or that, but that’s always the case. A week and a half from now and you won’t hear another word about this from me for a while.

Saturday’s MHL at Monticello is a policy love-in. How often does Policy beat out LD in pure numbers? Of course, there are plenty of people who were stymied by tabroom.com. This is pretty interesting to me, given that it’s pretty easy, and in fact, these people seemed to have gotten their data on and then screwed it up, rather than having initial access problems. And as I mentioned, there are those who sign up like good little soldiers and then change their entry so much that one wishes they had never signed up in the first place. Question for CP, though: why do the drops persist in the system? If I drop someone, they should be dropped. This happened with the Pups, too. I guess I can pull my data from another list, but perhaps there’s some reason for keeping the undead alive in the system. Maybe CP needs to be attacked by my Facebook zombie. Anyhow, the C-TRPC data is all in. All we need now is for O’C’s bus to realize that Monticello is north of the Bronx, and we’ll have a tournament.

There’s a check for the NYSFL on my desk, ready to be mailed. Sigh.

There was a flurry of parent judge discussion on the NDCA listserver. A number of people like the stuff I wrote and asked it they could access it. Let me see. If people read my judge how-to, they’ll judge the way I want them to judge. Does that work for me? By the way, the listserver is open to all and sundry, rather than just members, and maybe this one will be the one that becomes the de facto discussion group in the activity. So far NFL and LDEP weren’t able to do it. WTF works fine for students but I only check it at the highest top-page level, and seldom read too far into postings and comments unless they’re about me, or O’C has clued me into a interesting discussion. The idea of coaches connecting painlessly to other coaches is an idea whose time has come. About a decade ago. You want to know why it hasn’t worked so far? Too many luddite coaches. And they freely admit it.

Jeesh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Drops persist because at many tournaments (like Yale and MFLs) you still get charged for the entry fee after the deadline even if you drop, and I didn't want to have to explain why another hundred times.

But that doesn't mean they should still show up on the CSV export. Since you're only the 2nd person to use the CSV for anything I hadn't noticed before now; they're not going to show up anymore.