Friday, May 04, 2007

Spring cleaning at the old chezarooni

Well, those of us not going to the TOC can spend the weekend doing a little fine dining. And, curiously enough, all my plans for WDW leave a surprising gap Italiano. Today’s bracketology, therefore, reverting to you doing the work rather than me writing little novelettes, should take care of both issues. This one could be among the toughest to adjudicate so far.

I haven’t gotten a Nostrum out this week, but I do hope to get one more done before going on hiatus. We spent a little time last night sweeping the monitors out of the basement. Apparently our town is having hazmat day over at the local dump, and the hazmat that they will take that we had was monitors (CPUs, on the other hand, need not apply, as they make your average hazmat look as innocent as free range broccoli). In fact, I loaded 3 monitors, plus an old TV. For a while I figured that, in case of emergency I should keep one of the monitors, but despite my notoriously prodigious imagination, I simply could not conjecture (yes, that is a verb) any scenario where, if I needed a monitor, I wouldn’t just pop over to the local Circuit City (crawling over the writhing bodies of all the recently downsized salesfolk) and get one that wasn’t in the neighborhood of a decade old. The dust on some of these monitors had DNA from King Tut. A similar logic informed the decision to toss the old TV. A 19-inch monster from the 80s—that’s coming back real soon. I did keep the IIgs intact and the 29-inch TV, however, plus the various CPUs and laptops that were hazmatically verboten, so you can still send men to the moon with the assembled computing horsepower in the chez dungeon, but mostly Tik pronounced teek uses the machinery down there as obstacles to give the mice a sporting chance. He’s an honorable cat, that Tik. Vicious, but honorable. He does leave tooth marks in most of the Sailors, and he turns old 1F into a sneezing mess (even though she claims she’s not allergic), so he’s doing the job of three cats, one of them being my household pet and the other two being various spawnage from hell. So it goes, if you understand the philosophy of cats.

Best move of the day: I found a gadget to RSS WTF to a Google home page (i.e., igoogle). I never have to look at those pictures of drunk debaters ever again! Although it’s strange to see your own name listed, like they did yesterday. The spalpeens!

No comments: