Thursday, October 19, 2006

Coming soon: Lit Crit

I think I’m going to go into the review business. I now have, first, and unread, the Doshy/Halvorson LD how-to, which was posted on the NFL site. I took the briefest of looks at it, and it seemed perfectly acceptable. La Coin has her own guide that she distributes, which would act as an interesting comparison. When I was getting started, I used the Weise book, which was straightforward and simple enough and the only thing available, but the world of LD has changed a lot since then. Weise was good on getting novices started, explaining things in the simplest of terms, and I’ve long since internalized all of that. On the other end, however, I’m certainly much less fluent. For example, Termite was attempting to discuss spreads with us on the way back from Big Jake Saturday night, and was as if we were all trying to translate from the Urdu, and it wasn’t until the moment we were about to push him out onto the highway that I finally just went into the usual riff on, tactically, grouping, and strategically, debating on your own terms. (That is, when you cede those terms, and debate on your opponent’s terms, you deserve to lose. Simple enough. Of course, the best debates are when both sides are debating on the same terms, but how often does that happen?) Anyhow, considering the amount of jargon Termite was able to throw around with virtual incomprehension on all sides, including his own, I’ll try to look at the D/H guide over the next few weeks, to draw some conclusions. I do want it to be good, if for no other reason that the NFL is distributing it, and if it’s good, we all benefit.

Secondly, because I was thrown for a loop by DMV’s mishmashed web pages yesterday—MB is revising the thing yet again, and it’s still out of whack—I emailed him, mostly to be annoying, but also because sometimes I see things Mac-wise that PC-wise people might miss: even the most professional webmasters don’t always cover all contingencies. As I think I’ve made clear, any reservations I may have about DMV are usually lessened by each iteration of the site, and I think Mike is doing a good job of creating the default home of LD. Anyhow, out of the goodness of his heart, or the meanness of his bile which is darker even than mine—you be the judge—he responded by sending me their Nov-Dec topic analysis. To be honest, I haven’t seen a packaged brief since Clinton was in the White House (and Lord knows that he wasn’t up to any good while he was there), so I have to admit that I’m curious. So, shortly, review number two.

Then, for a third review, there’s the official new NFL LD guidelines. This document is longer than [Amateur Comedian’s alert: insert metaphor here for some really long thing]. I opened it yesterday but, instead of being inspired to read it, I was inspired to draft a letter withdrawing my team and myself from the NFL. I haven’t sent the letter, but I did write it. My sending it will depend on further discussions among the New York State shire folk. I hate to admit it, but I continue to smolder over the whole Red Light District affair; instead of getting over it, I just get madder. To them, too, as I did yesterday to others, I wish to say Bah, Aha, Boo and Pooh-Pooh. I’m now in the bloody-likely-to-bail stage. Since I have to do it by Nov 1, we’ll know soon enough where I end up. Still, we need to talk about the LD guidelines here. No doubt WTF will tear them limb from limb, so why shouldn’t I?

On a business note, the registrations are in for the first MHL. There are enough Bronx folk to [Amateur Comedian’s alert #2: insert metaphor here for some really heavily populated thing]. I’ll have to pair them against themselves, which I hate. Coverage of LD should be okay, but policy is going to be extremely dicey. I’ll probably adjust the awards to spread ‘em around, but how remains to be seen. The problem is, with the imbalance being what it is, either Bronx will take them all, or take none of them, and neither is fair. So I’ll probably invent a separate Bronx category. We’ll see. I’ll talk it over with whoever is in tab Saturday (which may just be me and my Grumpy pin, what with the competition of Texas this weekend). I wish to invest neither in favoritism nor unfavoritism. I don’t mind being a miserable SOB, but at least I want to be a fair one.


Last night I finally sent O’C his pdf of the Jakey results. Took me long enough, I’ll admit. And scanning through the printer makes a really long document, as compared to rather dainty results of virtual printing. I probably should get the full Adobe program. Maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow, but soon…

And finally, I managed to get a new episode of Nostrum up, proving that yesterday was indeed a Wednesday. It had been a while, but there’s no reason not to get regular again, especially since the tale is heating up, and to be honest, I’m curious about what’s going to happen. There’s the whole William and David gay business at the moment (but if you ask me, when I do the voices, the two both sound exactly alike, so I can’t imagine anyone knowing who’s talking to whom), and the intestinal boogie, and when I first read this stuff it was so many years ago that I admit I’ve forgotten most of it. Everything old is new again, eh?

No comments: