Friday, October 13, 2006

And so to Bronx

Last night was the entry of the judge strikes. Yucch! It's just one of the hardest things to do in TRPC, because there's no real easy way not to do it one at a time, and to make mistakes, which means much double-checking. I must admit I was glad to see the last of O'C's name in my mailbox.

I was disappointed that I was only struck a couple of times, especially since, duh, I'll be in tab. I mean, yeah, there's the small chance I'll stick my head out of the library, but the odds of getting me to judge your round is about, the way I figure it, about 1 in 500. Am I so evil that you'd strike me, at 500 to 1, when you could strike any number of other people who are about 15 to 1 likelihood? To be honest, I appreciate that my odor is so strong as to extend to the striking universe. But mostly I like seeing everyone else who gets struck. There are some strike magnets, let me tell you. Some are obviously just personal bugbears of individual debaters, but others are obviously persons of opinions, and debaters are doing their best to avoid those opinions. And there's also a couple of total losers who, once being met at the back of the room, are shunned by one and all. These are the judges who, when there are no strikes, tend to see roses and garlic around the necks of their judgees.

Anyhow, I'm off soon. Or I have been off for a long time. Either one. Whatever.

No comments: