Saturday, July 08, 2006

Well, that was interesting

I knew that the VCA was weird, and now we have confirmation over the GRL issue. All the females like guy books, all the guys like female books. CLG accuses me of already promulgating guy books. Termite recommended a bunch of books that really didn't need recommending (I mean, teenagers read too much Vonnegut already, even non-reading teenagers). I may not have clearly defined the point of the list. I want the books to have a bit of weight and merit, and, while one can arguably attack one or two on this count, some sort of "classic" status. The thing is, the market we're addressing, guys who read my blog who don't read much for entertainment, can already be presumed to have some measure of education, a whole bunch of assigned novels that they've blown off and watched the miniseries instead, the drive to be smarter than everyone else they know, and the ability to understand Baudrillard and Nietzsche. Now that's a unique individual, and there's a lot of them out there. (I love writing sentences like that...) As for Kt, I'd include Dune but I didn't like it myself much. Hornby is male enough (especially the total failure How to Be Good which he writes as a woman), but I find him narratively weak. Kipling??? As in,

Q: Do you like Kipling?
A: I don't know, I've never kippled.

If Burgers wants to give me a specific Bryson, I might add. I've dabbled at BB (except for the science book, which I read in semi-full) and he's fun. He may be someone people might otherwise not come across. My inclusion of Salinger may have been a mistake, if he's already assigned to death in school (but he's one guy you won't be seeing the miniseries of any time soon). I'm going to add Roots. I find it curious that so many of the titles I thought of address race issues. There's no agenda there, just coincidence.

Anyhow, on another subject altogether, it's the end of an era. I saw Serenity last night. The Firefly saga is all over (except for a few extras I'll watch in a day or two). Back to the old TNG episodes. According to O'C, Wil gets good someday. Feh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Bryson's science book was great, but probably not what you want for the list. How about A Walk in the Woods?

Right now I'm (finally) plowing through the five Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. Are those manly enough for your list, or are they too British to warrant consideration?