Monday, July 17, 2006

Reading, writing, relief, remembering, recording

HoraceMan TSWAS recommends Zizek. All right, but at the bottom of the pile for a while. I’ve gone back to the Gabler Disney bio, which I’d only read half of (it’s in manuscript, and its great length makes it one clumsy suckeroonie to read without it spilling over on to floor, cat and who knows what all). Then there’s the Moorcock, the Foucault, the Pinker and some random crap I’ve tucked into my Amazon wish list so I won’t forget it. (Speaking of which, random tip: you can create a playlist comprising songs from the iTunes store that you haven’t bought, which suffices as an iTunes personal wish list.) So my reading program is set for the next few weeks, barring any unforeseens. I need a break from philosophy. Disney is doing the job.

Speaking of unreadable writers, there’s Noah’s commentary on soccer, in a recent comment. I think. It may be a commentary on Fever Pitch, the book. Hard to say. To be kind, let’s assume that he was writing it late at night. I think the gist is that Noah’s maligning my impeccable sports credentials. The nerve of the guy. I’ve got a Yankees cap, damn it. (Well, I think it’s a Yankee cap. It might be a Mets cap; I’m not sure, but it does say New York on it somewhere and it seems relatively baseballish, so Yankees are a pretty good guess, all things considered. I know it’s not the Giants or the Dodgers, anyhow. Or the Jets.) I’m not creating a top ten here with the GRL, just a list of books relatively guaranteed to be liked by non-readers of the XY chromosome persuasion. Jeesh! How about Money Ball? I really liked that. Or better yet, Summerland! That’s it. Goodbye Hornby, hello Chabon.

Sorry, Kt. Take it up with Noah.

Meanwhile, a thankful nation breathes a sigh of relief now that WTF has released their first batch of hostages. I know that I’ll miss them mightily. No more camper of the day. No more camp counselor of the day. No more camp philosopher of the day. No more kamp kritik of the day. What’ll we all do till the next session? I, for one, plan to see if there’s any news from the Middle East. I’ve been concentrated so much on California that I’ve lost track of everywhere else. Probably all’s quiet over there though. I mean, what could possibly be happening that would be important enough to replace the WTF Camp Haircut of the day?

Speaking of thankful nations, I spent a lot of time yesterday working on the Bump invite. By Jiminy, but November seems awfully close. I’ve got it to almost done; all I need to do now is some proofreading, then some resting to allow whatever I forgot to come back to me. The problem is that I took voluminous notes of things to change, but I have no idea where they are. No doubt they’ll turn up after the tournament. This is the problem of running different computers, one of which (the work PowerBook) is in virtual lockdown: there’s no unified data storage. All the flash drives in the world aren’t the same as one central data center. I am using my website space for that these days, and I’ve got my new PDA, so maybe going forward I may get on top of stuff. Probably not, but it’s worth hoping for.

I also posted a new Nostrum yesterday and finished editing part 2 of Caveman. I’ve ordered a pop filter for the Snowball (to tone down the Ps and Ts) and when it arrives in a day or two I’ll go on to part 3. I must admit that I learn a lot from listening to Caveman as I’m editing it: half of that stuff comes as news to me! When did I ever actually know it, much less commit it to paper? If any of that information is actually correct, I’m going to be a lot smarter when this is over, or at least until I forget it all again.

No comments: