Tuesday, May 03, 2016

A debater says thank you

I have to admit that I am touched—touched!—by the many outpourings of affection debaters have been posting on Facebook now that their careers have ended (most of them by bombing out at TOC). I’m reprinting verbatim one of the more touching valedictions below.

This has been an amazing four years, and it all was made possible by debate. If it hadn’t been for debate, I would no doubt be in a juvenile detention center this very minute, never knowing that it was not my fault but rather the fault of my not-yet-formed cerebral cortex. I’d be setting up to learn the skills to succeed at a life of crime rather than setting up to learn the skills of being a lawyer, which, admittiedly, is also a life of crime, but at least you get to live in the suburbs. I will never debate again, and once I’m in college you won’t catch me hanging around any high school debate tournaments when I could instead be getting intimate with randy college girls. I mean, seriously? In any case, the time has come for me to acknowledge those who have stood behind me through thick and thin, or at least through thick, in some cases.

First and foremost, I want to thank my parents, Hedgehog and Mickey (“Pete”) Buonosera. If they had not had unprotected sex that night way back when, I wouldn’t be here to write this. Throughout grade school they always insisted that I put education first, limiting my Playstation time to four hours a day. Once I reached high school, there was no question that I needed something other than video games to entertain me, at least until the next Bioshock came out, and they encouraged me to join debate. And then, weekend after weekend, even though we couldn’t afford it, they paid for me to go to debate tournament after debate tournament, the further away the better. Which might explain my little brother who was born just a few months ago, much to Hedgehog’s and Mickey (“Pete”)’s surprise and amazement, but they are not Playstation people, and I guess you can figure out how they spent all their time in the empty nest I had created for them.

I also have my Uncle Englebert to thank, as he was the first person in my life to open my eyes to the variety that is human existence. Uncle Egg, who identifies as a Belle Epoque French chambermaid, helped me understand the myriad arguments I was hearing from an assortment of debaters over the years, as they cleverly skirted the posted resolutions, concentrating instead on why they should win because of anything but their debating skills. As a result of all those Thanksgiving dinners with Uncle Egg arguing, in French, with my grandparents, I learned to deflect their identity arguments while at the same time acquiring a decent knowledge of Parisian home maintenance.

I have to thank my teachers at Southwest North Central High School. They only saw me on Tuesdays and Wednesdays most of the time, but their respect for education matched that of my parents, which informed all of the theory arguments I began running starting the second week I joined the team.

And then there was my head coach, Dr. Thump, who refused to let me off the team, no matter how poorly I did, and God knows, I was a disaster when I first started out. Dr. Thump, whose stipend depended on having a certain number of students on the team, refused to even listen to my pleas to let me go, let me go, please let me go, I’m begging of you! Although Dr. Thump is no longer with us, my alibi still holds and I refuse to say another word without my attorney present.


And finally, I would like to thank all the assistant coaches who worked with me this year, to get me to the TOC. (It is not their fault that I totally tanked.) So in no particular order, my gratitude to Guy Kibbee, Spencer Tracy, Dick Grayson, Rex the Wonder Horse, Nick and Nora Charles, Vito Corleone, Ralph Nader, Wendy Darling, Maimonides, Rosemary Clooney, Professor Plum, Howard “Sandman” Sims, Edward Everett Horton, The Beatles, Donald Trump, Ma Rainey, Freddie Mercury, Philip Roth, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Claude Monet, Anne Boleyn, Timothy Leary, Umberto Eco, Lao-Tzu, Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov, Humbert H. Humbert, Enrico Caruso, James Beard, George Washington, the Fonz, James Abbott McNeill Whistler, Cantinflas, Little Lulu, the Gershwins, Charlotte Corday, Frank N. Furter, R. P. McMurphy, Winston Smith, Dolores del Rio, Simone Simon, Bob Fosse, Ernest Hemingway, Leland Stanford, Huckleberry Finn, Marjorie Main, Seven of Nine, Archie Goodwin, the Reverend Charles L. Dodgson, Eliot Ness, Mamie Eisenhower, Hermione Gingold, Slim Gaillard, Rowdy Yates, Jonathan and Martha Kent, Leo Gorcey, Busby Berkeley, Baby LeRoy, Jack Soo, Gilbert du Motier, Ann Miller, Michael Moschen, Uriah Heep, Benny the Cab, St. Augustine, Flo Rida, Tuli Kupferberg, the Realist Nun, Hildy Johnson, Eustace Tilly, Lassie, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Mustapha Mond, Mia Hamm, Francis Albert Sinatra, Wrong Way Corrigan, Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, John Jay, Ian Fleming, Joan Crawford, Daniel Boone, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, Cecil B. DeMille and a cast of thousands—plus a slew of others too numerous to mention, including Horatio Alger, Henry Clay, Nanki-Poo, Fidel Castro, William Henry Pratt, Ishmael, Eli Whitney, George Pal, Carrie Nation, Fala, Burl Ives, Yuri Gagarin, Joseph “Socks” Lanza, Bernard Quatermass, Julie Andrews, Bob Wills, Joe Rohde, Jawaharlal Nehru, P. G. Wodehouse, Federico Fellini, Roald Dahl, bell hooks, and the cast and crew of the upcoming Hello Kitty movie… Guys, and non-guys, and non-non-guys, and others, I couldn’t have done it without you.

---

/

No comments: